1. dimsumboi4u

dimsumboi4u New Member

how do you write a parody on charlie and the chocolate factory?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by dimsumboi4u, Jan 5, 2009.

I am clueless :confused:. Can anybody help out?:rolleyes:

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Probably not. Humor is one of the most difficult types of fiction to pull off successfully. You have to be adept at coaxong out the humor without clubbing it over the head. And all this requires that you first have a solid grasp of writing fiction in general.

Frankly, the question you asked really doesn't suggest to me that you really even know where to start.

It's probably a pretty long road from where you seem to be starting. Are you ready to put in all the hard work to get there?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

besides which, doing that would be like writing a parody of a parody, since dahl's work is all pretty satirical, bordering on parody...

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

True, but a parody of a parody is not unheard of - just a lot harder to succeed at, because the line between too subtle and too heavyhanded is much finer.

5. Mello

Mello Member

well, I always thought that the original story was pretty funny already. You could always just replace the candy with something else, then adjust the story accordingly, but honestly, that's been done quite a few times before, I think.

6. othman

othman Member

Well I think it could actually be quite easy (as far as writing humour goes). I mean cute, young, innocent Charlie could be a really ugly forty-two year old and his granddad could be his...I'm getting an idea...but I can't write comedy, meh.