1. poempedlar

poempedlar Senior Member

How Do You Write a Poem?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by poempedlar, Oct 29, 2007.

Sometimes an idea grows in my mind and takes off at a tangent in directions not controlled by me.
    I pick up words and chew them over. I feel and touch and shape and mould them. I mix and savour, dissect and discard them. I find words hiding in forgotten places, unusual words now out of tune. I sift and search and sulk and mope. I gaze into space, chew pencils, can’t eat.
    At last a poem, like a pot thrown by a potter, tenderly coaxed and nurtured, moulded with love and care, takes life and shape and sings with melody. Easy isn’t it?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, about as easy as creating an oil painting.

3. poempedlar

poempedlar Senior Member

Yes just as difficult. I paint portraits in acrylic, pastel and watercolour. Not oil so far but I am doing a course in Drawing and Painting which includes oil painting. Even worse than that; I paint poems. So far I have painted,
    A billowing cosmic confusion
    Of russets, violets and blues
    Meandering colours of rainbows
    Sating the ocean with hues

Also

Still hangs the moon like a lantern
    And stars abseil in the sky
    While fish skimming by in the moonlight
    Are constantly yearning to fly

This one has beaten me so far.

A frisson of gossamer spindrift
    Like dust devils dancing on waves
    Wafts salt laden whispers of sirens
    Seductively oozing from caves

I can't manage the, frisson of gossamer spindrift, any ideas?

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

my work mostly writes itself... i seem to be here just to do a bit of adjusting and polishing after the fact...

my writing mind's like one of those newfangled public washroom sinks where you don't even have to turn a tap, but just wave your hand under the faucet, for the water to start... i just let it turn itself on and out flow the words... all i have to do is 'catch' them...

5. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributing Member Contributor

I do that a lot maia, but then I go into major editing mode and splice everything all whichways...

6. poempedlar

poempedlar Senior Member

Etan Isar, good for you. I am sure your work is much improved with a bit of hard work.

7. evizaer

evizaer Contributing Member

Yes! I think that most true poets have that sense of the words coming through them, and not necessarily from them. I certainly feel that way.

I usually start with an image or a metaphor and the words just come through me from there. Afterwards I see if it makes sense. If it doesn't, i discard or tweak. If it does, I sharpen. Most times I'll write a stanza or two, then sharpen the rest as I write it--harnessing the flow of words from their source instead of letting them hit the page first.

8. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributing Member Contributor

It used to be easy. Words came naturally. I didn't even need a starting idea. But now . . . Now my poems are forced. I want to write so much, but the words aren't there anymore. Slowly, I am becoming my own puppet. I have no control and yet I am the one manuevering my life in such a bleak direction.