1. AniGa

AniGa Member

How do you write chat conversations?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by AniGa, Sep 14, 2015.

Hello, everyone.

I am quite interested in seeing how you do or would do this... what if your character actually has a conversation via a chat, or a forum like the one we're all on right now?

How would you write that out?
    Would you just write it like normal dialogue, adjusting the text around it to fit that - or would you actually type it out in a different, more distinct visual style, emphasizing the fact that it's just lines of words and no voices?

I'm really interested in your answers!

Greets,
    AniGa

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I would indent it and refer to the character reading the screen or something setting it up. I believe quotes are appropriate as they would be in spoken dialogue.

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

If you were to go the traditional publishing route, and providing you make it clear in the narrative that the exchange takes place in a chat room / forum, I think the editor would handle the formatting.

4. OurJud

If you were to go the traditional publishing route, and providing you make it clear in the narrative that the exchange takes place in a chat room / forum, I think the editor would handle the formatting.

5. OurJud

6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

You still have to format the manuscript to present it to the publisher.

7. OurJud

Yes, but the way you format it for submission is unlikely to be the way it ends up in the printed book.

This wouldn't be a decision for the author to make is what I'm trying to say.

8. AniGa

AniGa Member

Good point.
    But it's still a valid question to ask when you consider self-publishing writers, right?

In any case, how I do it sort of varies, but is consistent in single stories.
    I have this one story where it's a minor recurring theme, for example...
    ... and I don't wanna have to say "This is happening this way right now." every single time, so because of that (and also simply because I feel like it) I do it in a stylized way where it somewhat resembles what you'd see if you copypasted a chat log - just without the time stamps and more "appropriate-looking" for a novel, if that makes sense.

Greets,
    AniGa

9. OurJud

Yes, for SP, that's different.

10. Scrib

Scrib Active Member

See if you can get your hands on a copy of Nearly Roadkill by Caitlin Sullivan & Kate Bornstein (published by High Risk). Practically the whole novel is written using chat, e-mail and PMs etc. Each digital medium is instantly recognizable on the page through the use of similar fonts and formats used by the respective medium.

AniGa likes this.
  11. AniGa

AniGa Member

Sounds interesting! I'll be sure to give it a look.

Greets,
    AniGa

12. Lady Marmalade

Lady Marmalade Member

There's also a book called "TTYL" by Lauren Myracle. I read it a long time ago but it's entirely text and chat messages. Actually I think she wrote a series of books like that called "Internet Girls" but I know the first book is definitely TTYL. I hope this helps! :)

13. AniGa

AniGa Member

Eh, this thread was less for asking for advice, and more for seeing how other people do it.
    But hey, if I someone does it in a better way than me and I see their method as something I feel I could use to improve my on, I'm open for that too. : )

Greets,
    AniGa