1. feather

feather Member

How do you write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by feather, May 11, 2008.

I am always amazed when a writer can sit in a busy cafe, and jot their thoughts on a napkin. I need silence, or, metal tunes going on, especially when I'm building climax. I need the dark, be it early morning or night. I need to have a certain atmosphere.
    I write in the horror genre, and horror and metal have the perfect marriage for me.
    How do you write? Do you need to have an atmosphere or can you write from the cuff?

2. scribbledhopes

scribbledhopes Member

My writing comes in two parts.

My ideas I work on all day long, plots, scenes and such are popping in and out of my head with free will, sometimes I write them down. I could not stop this If I wanted to, the curse of an active mind.

My craft, the writing itself I do in a quiet environment where I can't be disturbed and take all those wonderful ideas to work. This is planned and well thought out, this is the harder part but the most rewarding. This is where I take the raw iron and make a horseshoe out of it.

Without the idea's the craft becomes stale, without the craft the ideas just float off unrealized. They are the bread and butter of a good story.

I write by combining the two.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i write anywhere and everywhere, with whatever i have handy...

this thread probably belongs in the lounge, where you'll find a rather lengthy thread on the same subject, along with many from the past...

4. InPieces

InPieces Senior Member

I find that i write better and gte more inspired when I write near a window, or outside in the backyard with my mom's laptop. But considering it snows and it is cold in Canada for 8 months of the year, writing outside isn't always an option., so sadly, i have to write by a window, or in my dark basement when my mom's laptop is in use.

I normally crank any type of music, it depends on what mood I'm in and what i'm writing. Normally, it tends to be dark rock / or industrial.

5. Kratos

Kratos Contributing Member

I can come up with ideas anywhere, but I need to be at my computer to write well. I used to write in a notebook during class in Middle School, but I don't anymore, seeing as I'm not in Middle School anymore.

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I usually have ideas swarming through my head all the time.
    My experience outside, inside, a quite place, or a loud place all create ideas.
    I am never out of ideas.
    I am like an idea factory working 24 seven everyday.

7. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I write anywhere but at home. Cafes, coffee shops, truck stops, pubs, the city bus or train all work. The office at home is where I transcribe and clean up what I've written elsewhere.

8. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Contributing Member Contributor

In the arms of the man I love at home in NC.
    In the mornings yes, I have to have quiet with classical music playing softly. During the rest of the day, no I don't need atmosphere. I need inspiration...anything will do, a bird by my pool, the words of a friend, the way the light plays through the branches of a tree. This is inspiring.

9. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I know this is a little irrelvant to the whole how do you write.
    But do you get inspiration when the bird poops? (I know its a bit disgusting and immature, but I just wonder)

10. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Contributing Member Contributor

In the arms of the man I love at home in NC.
    hahahaha...OMG!....Now, that is a funny thought!! If I was writing about bird poo..then I guess, I would have to say, yeah...!!! LOL!

Inspiration comes in all forms I guess!! hahaha..:D

11. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Well you don't just have to write about bird poo.

You could be writing about a sewage system or even about forest.
    You know something like:
    All the forest was beautiful the smell of feces filled my nose.

12. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

I guess the only "atmosphere" I really need is in my head. If I feel like writing, then I can write. Maybe the fact that I write fantasy and it's all in my head anyway helps?