1. Zane

Zane Contributing Member

How does it feel to come back on writing your story, when you were away for a while

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Zane, Aug 6, 2010.

Hello, I´ve been, five days I think, without writing anything on my story, or even looking at it, and suddenly I feel a bit apart from it. I feel that I can´t get it back, and keep on writing from where I stopped.

Have you ever felt this way?

For those who have felt it, how do you deal with this situation?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I've returned to stories I hadn't looked at in years. Sometimes I just don't feel they have enough potential to put more work into them. Sometimes I decide to scrap what I had written and start fresh. And sometimes I just make some revisions and continue from that.

But ine each case, it begins by reading what I have, then setting it aside and thinking about what I just read. It takes that to get my head back in the story.

If I have only been away for a few days, I only need to read the last few paragraphs to get back in the groove.

3. Taylee91

Taylee91 Carpe Diem Contributor

Hey, Zane.

Yes, definitely. I run into this problem even if I stop for a day! I lose that hot, initial vision of the way I want things to be. It’s annoying, and you seem to forever lose that specific detail, that precise emphasis on certain things.

To regain that vision in my head, I look back over the notes I’ve written down. The very shaky, hastily written page after page.

If you don’t take notes at the beginning of your stories, you should try to. They can answer the more dominant questions you wouldn’t notice if you jumped right in and started to write. They can also make you think more about your details or even pose more questions for you to follow.

I hope this was helpful. Don’t give up, no matter what.

Tayleea91

4. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

I've done that before, sometimes I have left a story for a few months and then came back to it and felt that it couldn't be progressed any further.

I've realised that I do this because the story was not clearly defined before I began. I did not have a beginning, middle and end to make the story worthwhile. Now when I start a new story I try and have all the relevant story arcs worked out before I begin writing.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

I go back and edit what I have done, often changing it drasticallty and then I am back in the flow. I am currently entirely rewriting my first novel so I can include a specific kind of bird, I am really frustrated as I thought I was done lol and that is hampering my creative flow. But it will be worth it visually. However I have yet to write a story that hasn't been worth continuing with, maybe as my ideas dry up I will have more of a problem. There is one gives me the creeps I didn't tidy up, it was meant to be a satire on archaeological study, however I wrote about an alien spaceship crashing into the twin towers less than a week before 9/11. Maybe now is time to revisit maybe crash it into the Tower of London instead;)

6. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hi Zane. It's happened to me quite a bit, but I managed to get back on track. I just re-read everything and work out whether it needs progressing or not.

7. BlueWolf

BlueWolf Banned

A writer is a writer. You can't escape it for that is who you are.
    To be away from it, feels like something is missing in your life - this may sound a little over melodramatic, but for me, when it happened, it is not a nice feeling.

8. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

Like Cogito, if it's been a long seperation, it takes re-reading the entire work to get into it again to even make a decision on whether it is even worth pursuing. And, likewise, if it's just been a few days or weeks, it might only require a read-through of the last few pages or the last chapter.

9. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Depending on how long I've been away, it may take several re-readings to "get back into it". I know the feeling of coming back and saying, "Now, just what WAS I thinking?" It can be disorienting, but it can also shake you out of a rut. I find that writinig is an aggregation of life experiences - mine and others'. So, when you're away from a piece of writing for a while, you come back to it a changed person, even if only minutely, and that alters your view of what you write.

Good luck.

10. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

I may feel one of two things:

1: It's like cleaning up after a very large, messy party.

Or

2: Seeing someone you've missed.

It all depends on how successful I was before taking the break.

11. goeswithgod

goeswithgod Member

For how long have you been working on said piece?

Last year I laboured for about 25k words over a story before deciding that I was thoroughly sick of it, so I locked it away in a dark corner of my hard drive and started something else.

That something else went on for about 25k words before I got sick of it and decided to revisit the older piece.

Having been away from it for so long, and after working on something totally different, I could look at it a different way. I spent a whole day rethinking, and swapping bits around before discarding half of the work and going off in another direction.

Now, aside from posting on forums, you can't keep me away from it.

<this has been an extract from my as-yet-unpublished biography...all apologies>

12. Zane

Zane Contributing Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I have already managed to get back to my story, I just read it all over, and tried to focus for a bit longer, and now I feel inspired for it again :D

13. goeswithgod

goeswithgod Member

Hurray!

14. RuffianFan

RuffianFan New Member

I read the story, but if it's long I often jump parts, and then I sometimes take a small break. All of a sudden, the ideas start simming again and I get loads of inspiration. :)