1. SabaFromMars

SabaFromMars New Member

Medicines & Drugs that CAUSE Pain??

Discussion in 'Research' started by SabaFromMars, Aug 6, 2012.

Hello :)

I had read about medicines and drugs that reduce the pain (the ordinary types we all know) and about medicines and drugs that induce pain (as a side effect) but is there a medicine that can cause pain? I read about medical torture, but I didn't find such a thing. I also read some fictional stories about guys who have been tortured by medicines (injecting them with some type of drugs that cause them severe pain), so, is there such a thing in reality?And if so, is there types that can cause pain to certain organs (like heart, kidneys, liver)?

2. Zommie

Zommie New Member

It sounds like a rather round-about way to torture someone.

I don't know of any specific drugs that only cause harm, but an idea of torturing through the use of drugs could be to use a highly addictive drug to get the victim hooked on it then use the drug as leverage in order to gain information from the victim.

3. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

There are venoms around that cause tremendous pains, far beyond those of a wasp or bee sting. The platypus duckbill comes to mind as the most severe (I have seen a documentary yeaaaaars ago and remember the platypus venom generated the most excruciating pain, whilst not lethal....). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom
    This isn't a drug but maybe you can use it in your story somehow.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. SabaFromMars

SabaFromMars New Member

Hi Zommie, I know it's a weird & uncommon way method of torture, but after I read about it in a fictional story "which - unfortunately - can't find in my bookmarks" the idea of it stuck in my head.
    Also, I'm in a big twister of thoughts right now, I want to write a torture scene, and I want to write an injury scene for the same character, and I can't decide which one is better "yup, I can be very evil to my characters sometimes".
    I also thought about the "addiction" idea but I found it too common, I wanna write something new, burt reliable in the same time.

5. SabaFromMars

SabaFromMars New Member

Thanks Leonardo :) I'll read about it.

6. Bell City Fires

Bell City Fires New Member

Is it strictly physical pain these characters will be placed in? It all seems like a fanciful and far from practical way of doing things. Low tech has always gotten results.

Psychological damage would seem to be made easier with the assistance of drugs.

7. SabaFromMars

SabaFromMars New Member

No, it doesn't have to be like this. I actually thought about using drugs for mental torture but it seems to be a multi-sided idea that has some diffeculty in writing.

8. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

You might do a google search, if you don't mind being put under extra scrutiny for a while. My suggestion, if it's fiction, is create your own drugs. Most, if not all, of one's that could cause psychological pain aren't known by the average reader. This is a list that can have various mental and physical effects though:

Cocaine
    Heroin
    Codene
    LSD
    Bath Salts
    Meth
    Saphris (perscription anti psychotic used in bipolar a lot that causes physical and emotional pain in some subjects)
    Any psych meds can do that same thing. They're very strong and effect the chemicals in the brain, thus effecting mood, taste and psychological pain too.

Also some of them can change your sense of taste. As I've had my bipolar treated, I've been on various meds. Just as an example of how it effects senses: I've had some that made Coca Cola so salty it was undrinkable while Pepsi was sweat, then vice versa, and one time both were salty and RC cola was sweet. Psychotropic drugs, whether legal or not, can effect your mind and perception to pain.

Hope this helps

9. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Just adding to what Bell said. You might want to think of the type of pain caused. Drugs can cause a pain if hte person becomes dependant on it and goes through withdrawal. Likewise, some drugs cause headaches, cramping, convulsions, etc as a side effect. Try to narrow down what exactly you want to happen.

10. rubisco

rubisco Member

I'm an RN, and the only drug I know of that can cause severe pain in the right circumstances is narcan (generic name is naloxone). The circumstances is that the person would have to be on pain medication (opioid/narcotics) for really bad chronic pain or dependence. A dose of narcan would, within seconds, make all of the pain meds in their blood become ineffective. People can wake up screaming because of the pain. I guess if somebody wanted to torture somebody with it, they could give them a continuous narcan drip, have them be in pain, then they could even offer the person the pain meds they usually take (a form of hope), but they too would be ineffective when taken, further causing the person anguish. Hope this helps? Just write a story about bunnies and butterflies after this one:)

11. SabaFromMars

SabaFromMars New Member

Wow, guys, let me love you :D you really changed my mind to many things, I'm officially thinking about changing the scenario, you gave me a very good info, I'm so happy that I joined this forum. Thanks :)

12. Quinn T. Senchel

Quinn T. Senchel New Member

You could look at the effects of toxins/poisons/venoms and make up pills off of that (because when it comes down to it they are essentially the same as drugs). Some have myotoxic or neurotoxic properties so that your brain or your muscles undergo necrosis. Some can cause convulsions, send people into seizures, paralyze people, give people a sense that all their nerves in their body are on fire, or a sense of doom. They can make it so that oxygen can't attack to the hemoglobin of blood cells making it so that persons body suffocates. You could also have the torturer inject patients with diseases. The drug Scopolamine is pretty infamous. Most drugs if abused will give unpleasant side effects. Even Tylenol can kill your liver if you aren't careful, because after all, you're playing with chemicals.

13. SabaFromMars

SabaFromMars New Member

Thanks very much for the info Quinn, I'll have to do more researches if I want to do this right.

14. Snyder80

Snyder80 Member

Might sound stupid but some people (myself included) suffer severe, agonizing nausea at the hands of Codeine, Morphine, Anisthesia and other pain relieving narcotics.

15. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

My thought is that no medicine is designed specifically to cause pain, however many medicines do cause pain as a side effect. I get cortico steroids injected in my back from time to time, and the injection is said to be quite sore, which is why the drugs always mixed with lignicane. Compounds that do specifically cause pain are likely to come from the venom world, where pain is a useful defence. I'm thinking here of bee venom and the like. But also porcupine quills and jellyfish stings are said to be excruciating, I'm not sure if they use drugs though.

Cheers, Greg.

16. Helen123

Helen123 New Member

There are specific drugs that cause pain... But I use only medicaments that relax me, relieve my thoughts. These coupons [link deleted] make me happy. Because I can buy my pills and enjoy my good mood almost for free. That's important for me. It really is. I'm quite broke right now :(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
  17. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Drugs are not designed to cause pain. Natural venoms are the way to go. The Box Jelly fish venom causes excruciating pain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish

The platypus venom @Leonardo Pisano mentioned sounds like an excellent choice given most other venoms have a narrow range between survivability and lethality.

18. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

Bull Ants have an incredibly painful bite/sting if you do not have a platypus at the handy, since the platypus is mostly found in a single continent and are quite hard to see, let alone catch you might want to opt for something much easier to get and care for.

Bull ants are very aggressive, and speaking from experience they are very painful. Otherwise there's the "bullet ant" since it is, apparently, as painful as a bullet and they are found in central and south America. Additionally, the venom of the bullet ant is primarily a paralysis and does not directly cause death.

19. Can't Read

Can't Read Banned

The Portuguese author Mario de Sa-Carnerio committed suicide by taking a large dose of Strychnine and was reported to have been in excruciating pain, an unwitting friend was asked to keep the depressed 26 year old company during the act, his body was said to contort and convulse towards the end.

20. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

Large doses of anticholinergic agents like atrophine, mandrake, doxylamine, and Benadryl (yes, Benadryl) cause vivid and terrifying hallucinations that are accompanied by a host of physical side effects, such as dizziness, dry mouth, nausea, seizures, abdominal pain, and leg tremors. When used in this manner, those drugs are known as deliriants, a third class of hallucinogen distinct from psychedelics (LSD, mescaline, psilocybin) and dissociatives (ketamine, PCP, nitrous oxide) in both their mechanism of action and the sheer potency of their cognitive impairment. Most of them are legal, but drug users tend to have some distaste for them, since they are both far more lethal and often less pleasant than (pure) LSD or psilocybin. If used as torture agents, they would likely be some of the most traumatizing ones ever created, though the torturer might have some difficulty ensuring their victim's survival. For a safer (in a manner of speaking) alternative, LSD or psilocybin (again) would stand a good chance of producing a bad trip if the victim was already fearful and restrained.

One the other hand, the above scenario is quite possibly worse than raping someone, so it may go too far for the story you're thinking of.

21. oTTo

oTTo Member

Russian Magic is a dangerous one. This one is not for the faint of heart. The human being is amazing. So amazing that we can endure great pains for minor uplifting feelings. We strive to stimulate our minds through physical harm.

22. CGB

CGB Active Member

High-dose amphetamines or cocaine can induce visceral ischemia. This can cause heart attacks (so think of pain associated with heart attacks or extreme, generalized abdominal pain that is so excruciating the person is basically afraid to move).

Only thing I could really think of right away. As a literary example, I know Mitch Rapp gave it to a terrorist to facilitate torture during an interrogation. I'm sure there are many drugs which cause allodynia or hyper-algesia as rare side effects.

There are also drugs which while they do not directly cause generalized pain do cause other very unpleasant generalized sensations i.e. formication (sensation like insects crawling over the skin).

23. oTTo

oTTo Member

To me, and this is just me, the idea of a needle in the arm is enough for an instant no. Compounded with the fact of a war in the place where heroin comes from is another no (lost friends in that place). Then there is the sickening concept I have of heroin. And also the final point, no reason to use heroin. The needle pain though, that is the kicker. Ouch. Who does that?!

24. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

While in history there aren't many mentions of drugs in torture, using science in torture was very common. Doctors who studied pain were used plenty of times to bring effective methods of pain while keeping the prisoner alive.

25. Rob40

Rob40 Active Member

My contribution to this concept would be to look at the facility or person administering these drugs for pain introduction. Then ask, why do they need a specific drug existing today for this scene? What if they made their own experimental drugs/serums? Not to say a cliché’ is a good idea, but your standard grimy dungeon lab in an unknown imprisonment location with a bad guy and a washed-up discredited doctor/scientist going to town on the protagonist comes to mind. Sounds like good start? Why else would anyone give the drugs for pain production only unless they were bad guys/evil government secret operation guys to begin with? (I have an answer here, but it might be more cliche': To extract something else from them, perhaps introduction of pain releases another chemical they can harvest? ohhh nasty.)