1. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

How Does Thought Change Perspective

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by J.P.Clyde, Jun 11, 2014.

Well I kind of added a one sided comment to something for a friend on the novel section. Either way it made me think, how ones thoughts change perspective of how we write.

I am talking about the different thinking types:

-Audio Thinkers
    -Textual Thinkers
    -Conceptual Thinkers
    -Visual Thinkers

How do all these different types of thinkers, write? And how does it affect writing?

2. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

Is an audio thinker one who thinks out loud?

I think I'm a conceptual thinker. I have to rewrite over and over to get everything down. It develops as I rewrite.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

huh?

i've never heard of a division in thinking/thinkers... who decides what kind a person is?... and how?

4. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

Apart from not seeing a mental ticker tape of text scrolling through my mind, I and most people would likely do all of them at one point or another.

5. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I wonder if J.P. meant type of memory. I have a very visual memory. If we're introduced, I'll likely forget your name by the end of the party, but I'll remember every detail of what you looked like for months.

6. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

I meant thinking.

Such as for examples. We have two people needing directions to a location:

-My friend, he thinks in pictures. He says he can construct the map in his mind and the way the road works. He thinks on the relations on objects and streets

-Where as another friend of mine remembers the words for the directions, she says she sees words in her minds as they form

That's thinking

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I've read that there are two major ways of forming mental models for complex concepts. The majority of the population uses one way; the majority of computer programmers use the other way. Thus explaining why so many people can't use their computers.

8. grimmsistr

grimmsistr Member

You are talking about the theories of the different learning styles or Howard Gardner's theory of the seven different intelligences right?

These are theories that have been talked about alot in the danish educational system for a while and I Work in the preeschool system so Ive learned a bit about them.

three examples of Garners intelligences are: the Visual - the kinestetic/bodily - the musical/auditory

Where a Visual thinking person might learn and think best by using images and be very aware of their visual surroundings a Auditive thinking person might learn and think best by hearing or even reading Words and a Kinestetic might learn and think best by activily doing the thing he or she reads about.

Its an interesting question you ask. How does that change the perspective and perhaps style of the writer if he/she is one or the other of those types of "intelligence personalities"?

I for instance consider myself a Visual learner and I think it does affect my writing in the way that I tend to discribe the scenery and how my characters look a lot and sometimes to the extent that readers tell my Im being too "info dumpy" :)

Renee J likes this.