1. friendly_meese

friendly_meese Member

Mystery how far do you stretch credulity?

Discussion in 'By the Genre' started by friendly_meese, Aug 5, 2014.

My WIP is currently in its first draft and requires some things that make no sense from a reality point of view. One of them is a child support case in which a paternity test is administered before the child's birth. Another is the support case being filed before the child's birth. A third is things getting to trial when the child is three months old.

I realize that lawyers would hate me bitterly for fudging things this way, but they make the story more enjoyable to legal laypersons. If they're too problematic, I can rejig the story in subsequent drafts to alter the timing and other aspects of the novel that the timing would affect. What would experienced crime writers recommend I do here (aside from, obviously, finishing the first draft before making any changes)?

2. tionA

tionA Active Member

you are aware that prenatal paternity tests exists, right?

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I had an amniocentesis during my pregnancy for a couple reasons. One because I had some genetic risk factors, and two because I have rh negative blood and it was useful to know the fetus' blood type before I needed that Rhogam shot mid-pregnancy. I can see getting a paternity test before delivery.

4. Chaos Inc.

Chaos Inc. Active Member

Consensus seems to be: you're fine!