1. becka2.clark

becka2.clark New Member

YA or Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by becka2.clark, Jan 11, 2011.

Unsure if this question has been asked before, but I'm sure there have been plenty of duplicate questions before. :D
    My novel is YA, however it has a little sci-fi/fantasy type stuff, like another planet and teleportation. For the most part it focuses on a just-turned-eighteen year old girl's life as she finds out who she really is. Now my question is this: when submitting to literary agencies, whom specifically state that they are not currently taking fantasy but YA, should I steer clear because it involves a little fantasy? or because the genre is YA, submit anyway?

What are your thoughts?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I know in the UK most won't take adult fantasy but they do take children's/YA fantasy.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

YA is only a 'market' [vs 'adult' or 'children's'] not a 'genre'... fantasy is a 'genre'...

4. becka2.clark

becka2.clark New Member

Thank you for clearing that up.

Now, this particular website allows me to search agents. Under agent search it states select fiction genre, YA is listed in the drop down. This is what I was referring to. Because my "market" is YA and these agents take YA.

This is an agents info of taken from the website:
    FICTION GENRES
    Literary Fiction | Science Fiction | Chick Lit | Commercial Fiction | Fantasy | Women's Fiction | Romance | Historical Fiction | Young Adult | Multi-Cultural | Middle Grade

NONFICTION GENRES
    Memoirs

Both Young Adult and Fantasy are listed...back to my original question, after clicking on her info it states not currently taking fantasy but currently taking YA. I'm confused. Maybe this isn't the right place to look for these answers. Thanks anyway!

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I would send it YA but I am basing that off the UK Market basically when they put YA it means they take anything in that category - which would be a YA Fantasy.

6. becka2.clark

becka2.clark New Member

Thank you Elgaisma :)

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'd take her caveat to mean she won't take YA fantasy... but will take other YA genres...