1. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

How I Met Your Mother series finale (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Poziga, Apr 2, 2014.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched this series and since there are many debates on the internet regarding the ending of the series, what do you think of the final episode?

The whole season was preparing us on the wedding and for what? We didn't see the ceremony, and they got a divorce after 15 minutes (3 years)? I don't know what kind of reaction did the writers expect from viewers, but I felt nothing. No shock, no surprise, no sadness, just a pure WTF moment.

I was rather dissapointed, the only ending I liked was Barney's and even that could be better. Why did he pushed away the thought of being a father until the very birth of Ellie? It seemed a bit over the edge to me, they practically destroyed his character. For the last three seasons he was personally growing (with wedding and all), but in the last episode, they completely shattered his growth when he became a womanizer again

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I didn't realize this show is as popular as it is for the finale to be raising the internet hub-bub that I do see happening.

3. Poziga

Neither did I. :D
    But it looks it pissed off a lot of people, I even saw petitions, where angry viewers wanted the creators to rewrite and reshoot the finale. :eek:

4. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I heard they're making a spin-off called How I Met Your Dad. What's bugging me most is why they're not calling it How I Met Your Father. :p

sunsplash and Poziga like this.
  5. Poziga

You had to mention it huh, now I'll also be thinking what's with the name. :D

Thomas Kitchen likes this.
  6. Thomas Kitchen

Sorry! :cool: But I personally think the writers should have had a definite series arc in mind when they created HIMYM, much like it was with Breaking Bad, but without the drugs. ;) They made it too long, because let's face it: who tells that much of their life story to their clearly uninterested kids? o_O

7. Wreybies

How does the comedy in that show translate over your side of the pond, Thomas?

8. Thomas Kitchen

It's very, um...American?

I kid, I kid! It is a little over-the-top, but it's definitely a known and watched show over here. We at the UK wanted another FRIENDS, and sadly it did not deliver? :( It's a show that is not my cup of tea, and the humour is, as I say, American, in that it's not clever or witty like our clearly superior British shows. :D But yes, it has an audience, and I wouldn't say it's a small audience.

Although it probably doesn't help that Britain is slowly being sucked into the American way of life, and I mean no offence by that - I just think that both sides have their own types of comedy and ways of doing things, and the UK sadly seems to be leaving its Britishness behind when it comes to TV. Oh well, ho hum. :rolleyes:

9. Wreybies

Well, that concerns me as well, to be honest. I spend time occasionally in other chat-groups scouring what BBC3 and BBC4 have to offer to break the monotony of Yank-TV. My last awesome finds were Mongrels and Russell Howard's Good News. That shit is crazy! :) I want your culture to keep its comedic tradition. I love it. So much American comedy is... lowest common denominator oriented, where yours is unapologetically crisp. Every time American networks try a show like that here (and there have been a few) they never last more than a season. :(

10. Poziga

We had "British society and culture" as a subject in my school previous semester. The teacher was british and we also talked about british humour. He said that British are very proud of their humour, so I don't know, is it really slowly dissapearing? Cause I also like it, I've seen a few Monty Python skeches and movies and I laughed pretty hard. There's also Black Adder and similar series... Would be a sad thing if British humour would be wiped out...
    Guy Ritchie's movies about London underground are also awesome; Lock, stock and two smoking barrels, snatch... :)

Wreybies, How I met your mother has around 26 million fans on facebook, so it's quite popular. :p

As for above, I too like Friends, way more than HIMYM...

11. Thomas Kitchen

@Wreybies - You should watch Hustle, if you haven't already. Eight glorious seasons of wit, clever fourth-wall breaking, and plenty of nice confusing bits. It concerns hustlers in central London, and it can be difficult to follow, but that's one of the good things about it - you're not quite sure how they pulled the con off until the end. :) The only reason it was cancelled is because the writers were running out of ideas, but every single season that was written and aired was superb. Check it out and tell me what you think! If you can't find it, I'll try to find you a link, if you PM me.

Slowly but surely, yes, it is. It will never totally disappear, you understand. In fact, far from it. But our lowest common denominators, as Wreybies put it, are worse than ever, and they demand low-quality Americanised dribble. Monty Python and Blackadder seem so long ago (yes, I'm doing a "In my day" moment), and British television isn't quite what it used to be. I will admit that British films, however, are still of excellent quality. But as I've said, Britishness will never completely go - not by a long shot. It will just fade of the common people's telly and will only be available through radio, better TV channels, and through film.

Poziga likes this.
  12. Wreybies

Hustlers as in con artists or as in male prostitutes? (In the U.S. a hustler is a dude prostitute.)

13. Thomas Kitchen

FRIENDS FOREVER! :D

14. Thomas Kitchen

Male prostitutes would certainly have changed the show! ;) Yes, I meant con artists.

15. Poziga

Yep, I watched all seasons of Friends twice. :D

16. Thomas Kitchen

Not bad, not bad. I've probably watched each episode from 5-20 times, however. ;) Yes, I am that sad. If my sister was watching them with me, I'm sure we could quote a whole episode if we tried... :eek:

Poziga likes this.
  17. Poziga

Haha, I could do that with LOTR. :D

18. Thomas Kitchen

I think we could become best buddies. :D

Poziga likes this.
  19. Poziga

Hahaha, you already said it! ;D