How innocent are you… really?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Oct 9, 2009.

?

1 is most innocent, 10 is least.

1. 1 (most innocent)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. 3

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. 4

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. 5

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  6. 6

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. 7

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  8. 8

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  9. 9

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  10. 10 (least innocent)

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

I put one of them *sniff* I do not believe in innocence or evil particularly, but my post clarifies my position well I believe

[​IMG]

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

while that's fine for discussion, wrey, it doesn't work for taking a poll imo, since one can't tell what kind of 'innocence' it's asking about...

for instance, while i ranked myself as 'least innocent' in re knowing what goes on in the world, due to my advanced age and having learned pretty much all there is to know about our species, which leaves my eyes totally unblindered and seeing all of the 'what is,' i would have clicked 'most innocent' in re committing crimes, or willfully-done, major misdeeds...

and others may have ranked themselves as 'most innocent' in re knowledge of human nature, due to youth and/or naivete, but could have ranked themselves as 'least' in re having committed unsavory or immoral acts... see the problem?

3. 67Kangaroos

67Kangaroos New Member

i'm not evil (despite what my mom thinks) and i'm not innocent (despite what coworkers think) .... perhaps an even 5 describes me best.

i'm not compassionate, but nor am i callous
    i'm not particularly kind, but nor am i mean
    i'm not good, i'm not bad
    according to me, i'm nothing at all :p

4. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Well, that's the point of it I think. Innocence is relative to each individuals experiences.

I like the way Wreybies left it open to interpretation rather than leading us by the nose to what he believes innocence is.

1 person likes this.
  5. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

What is your definition of 'innocence'?

6. jonathan hernandez13

have you read my lengthy post?:D

7. Kas

Kas New Member

Experience. I ranked myself a ten.

I don't consider artificial morality (drug use, sex before marriage, etc.) to be a factor. To me, the question refers to things we know instinctively to be wrong or questionable. The rest is all nonsense, as far as I'm concerned.

Although, despite my thorough disillusionment, my own 'transgressions' have been almost entirely limited to verbal misuderstandings and faux pas.

The one exception in my past would be the grand larceny of '95. I knew exactly what I was doing, so I can't really chalk it up to just 'being a kid'. I stole from almost every single store in the local mall, and quite a few other places, until I was finally caught lifting some absurd ten-dollar 'wizard' rings with my inept older brother. In truth, we were both terrible at it. I recall walking out of a book store with a huge paperback jammed into my front pocket.:eek: Yeah. . .

But the people around me in my formative years were largely responsible for opening my eyes to all that is. . . And in that way, I lost any trace of innocence before I even hit puberty.

I'm actually very glad for it. I don't lament my lost innocence and never have. . All of my experiences, from horrific to splendid, have shaped me into what I am today. I'm happy to have been despoiled.;)

8. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I feel like I rated myself incorrectly. I think I had a memory lapse and forgot about what a horrible person I am. :redface:

When I thought of how "innocent" I was I thought of some of the worst things in the world that I'd never ever do, and rated myself a four, not even thinking about all the stuff I have done and do know about and do act upon that other people would never ever do. In truth, I suppose I'd be closer to a seven or an eight...? Maybe?

If I had a choice, I'd choose to be... jaded? What's the opposite of innocence anyway? Knowledgeable? I dont think I'd like to be blind to the world around me.

9. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

If William Blake is to be believed, and he seems a trustworthy fellow, it's experience.

10. Sabreur

I probably shouldn't open my mouth, because certain people seem to dislike what I have to say, but that's okay, I'm sure they can deal with this.

I think, out of anything in the world, innocence is a subjective reality for most people. Is it experience the opposite of innocence or is it a degradation in your personal moral fiber? Or perhaps a slow (or dramatic, I suppose) shift in your ethical guidelines. Is loss of innocence abrupt or gradual?

You could answer yes or no to any and all of these statements and still have a very workable definition of innocence.

Now, let me say this. I'm not one to buy into this "Everything is relative" stuff. I don't agree with it much of the time and that's my own problem. And, more importantly, not the subject of this thread. But, in the case of innocence, I believe it IS relative.

Sorry for the slight derailment.

11. jonathan hernandez13

it sounds like everyone is agreeing for the most part actually, for different reason

it does not surprise me that most people have voted in the middle

if you look at the intelligence of any given population statistically the majority of people are average

most people if you ask them describe themseves will call themselves "middle" class

people are reluctant when it comes to taking a radical stance:cool:

12. Sabreur

Unfortunately true. Though, that may be because many radical stances are rather bonkers.

That said, I like being a radical liberal. Revolution? Eh, maybe someday ;) Obamma Slamma is workin' on it, so Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly tell me :p

13. jonathan hernandez13

lol, yes

if god be for us who can possibly be against us eh?

if i had to choose the lesser of two evils left it is:cool:

14. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I'm the most innocent here... :/

15. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I'm one of the two 9s.
    4 years ago I would have been a 2 or a 3 I suppose. Then I rebelled, mwhahaha.
    I think probably the only thing I haven't done, is stealing.
    I'm feeling rather ashamed now....hope my dad doesnt see this haha.
    xxx