Tags:
  1. Jess Hughes

Jess Hughes Member

Unstable Characters

Discussion in 'Research' started by Jess Hughes, Apr 21, 2019.

Hello all,

I am writing a story in which my main character has had an imaginary "friend" since she was a girl that has gradually got meaner to her as she has gotten older, telling her to do increasingly bad things to people, eventually leading her to kill her best friend because her imaginary friend has convinced her she's trying to kill her.
    I'm not sure how to approach this, in the fact that my main character CLEARLY has some sort of issues to be able to do that. How would I go about writing a character with a very clear mental illness in a way that isn't insensitive? I personally have never had to deal with schizophrenia or any kind of psychosis so perhaps wondered how to approach this?

Thanks.

Just a cookiemunster likes this.
  2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Actually, that's a very interesting premise for a story. I'd be inclined to just write it as it unfolds in your mind without worrying about insensitivity. There's no reason you can't write a good story about a character with some sort of psychological issue without being an expert on mental illness.

Zombie Among Us likes this.
  3. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

I agree with Earp, if I was going to add anything it would depend on how much the reader knows - that is, do we know that your character has a mental illness throughout the story, or do we find out in a plot twist or reveal towards the end? (The same goes for the imaginary friend - do we believe she's real throughout until the truth is revealed, or do we know all along?)

Of both are revealed later on, then I'd say a possible way of going about this could be to just give very fleeting references throughout. Say your character has a panic attack (this is just an example) you could detail a shortness of breath, quickening of the heartbeat, and then it's over. If she blacks out or slips into some sort of trance-like state, just skip a little time, and that'll be the sort of thing that makes sense once the reader knows what's going on. If we're seeing this from the point of view of your character, it might be better to believe that the voices/imaginary people talking to her are real all along. That way you're showing us her symptoms, but not explaining them until the big reveal, and that can be effective.

Zombie Among Us likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think it would also help you evade any problems if you simply tell the story and let your readers decide if she is mentally ill, or actually possessed, or what. You don't have to name any mental illness, so folks can start pointing out all the ways the diagnosis doesn't fit, etc. She can wonder if she's going 'crazy' or something, but just avoid a diagnosis, and you should be okay.

5. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Have you seen Mr. Brooks? the main character is a seasoned serial killer who has an imaginary friend that eggs him on. It's a great movie! I love your idea. Although, I don't think the movie would offer much insight into the psychological things you're asking.

Dissociation Identity Disorder might be something to look into if you want something to research. Essentially the person detaches from reality when they are stressed. Sometimes individuals experience "splitting", where they sort of create separate identities for themselves. Therefore this imaginary friend would be an aspect of the main character. A dark side she can't admit is herself. In Mr Brooks his imaginary friend is meant to represent his "Id" (the animalistic part of the brain that is only concerned with urges). I guess I have to mention Fight Club too. Which is a wildly sensationalized and "insensitive" portrayal if DID but I don't think anyone really cared. It's entertainment.

I agree with what others have said though. I don't think you need to worry about being sensitive. If you got too caught up in it the book would be about that instead of what you want it to be about.