1. sereda008

sereda008 Member

I need help creating a character.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by sereda008, Aug 16, 2010.

So, in my book Controll I have a hostile character called Jacob. I need somebody to play his role, somebody who thinks like him. The plan is this: I will describe what Vladislav did, what the situation is and who Jacob is. Then, whoever wants and has the fitting personality, shall tell me the actions that they would take under such circumstances. This I find a good idea so that 2 characters would not think alike.
    Right now what I need to know is does someone have any problems with this? Moderators, users, do you agree with this Idea? If everybody agrees then I will post the details of Jacob, a sketch of him and a few questions which would determine if the personality is fitting.
    The sketch I will provide will not be the original Jacob I had in mind as the finished product of my drawings is always at least 50 % of from the original plan, but whatever the sketch of Jacob will reveal, I will accept. This way the way he looked will not be reflected from the way I think.
    Just to to give you a short Idea about who Jacob is, well, he is a modern Shade (Eragon), the most powerful one in the word. He is a man being inhabited by demon(s).

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

[​IMG]

CAN CREATE YOUR CHARACTERS!

3. Manav

Manav New Member

The hairy body, the spade, the hat, the belt buckle, THE FINGER.... nay, I don't like it. I want it death.

Or,

Look! A bear in jeans with a hat, holding a spade and pointing a finger. So cute!! I want it for my girlfriend.

Take your pick... that's the only two kind of responses you're going to get.

P.S. Nice work Cog :)

4. sereda008

sereda008 Member

Manav, whatever.

5. Manav

Manav New Member

The point is, people will either say they like your char or they hate it. You have created the char and nobody has more insight about them than you do. So, instead of asking for others approval, trust your writer's instincts and do it your way.

Also, is your book a comic book type? Otherwise, I see no point in posting a sketch, because only how you write will determine how he is perceived by the readers.

Hope I am getting my point across more clearly this time.

6. sereda008

sereda008 Member

No my book is not a comic book. Anyway, I will just put the sketches at the start of each chapter like some people do.
    Ok then, I will just fill all my characters with my eternal knowledge and see how they get on.

7. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributor Contributor

Sereda, wouldn't that be like ... ohhhhh, I don't know, maybe ... a collaborator? And then, should you get published, wouldn't that collaborator be entitled to ... ohhhh, say, some percentage of your earnings?

So, to paraphrase that great philosopher, Cogito, You are the one who is responsible for figuring out what your characters would do. You are the one who creates them. Hence, that label, creative writing.

8. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

If you're having trouble creating great characters I'm sure there are countless web resources and books to help. Maybe you could do with some time studying it.

9. sereda008

sereda008 Member

Ok, I think that I will rather do without a collaborator. Ill just try to BE Jacob :eek:.

10. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

I'm sorry, Sereda, but the question you pose in this thread makes very little sense. I frankly don't know what you want us to do, or why you need other people to help you with a character who is... um... exactly like Jacob but thinks differently. Maybe someone who actually has read your story knows what you're talking about, but you need to be a lot clearer.

What I got from your question was that you want us to basically come up with your character for you. Why would you want to do that? Why would you want to write something that is not your own? If you have any respect for yourself as a writer, you won't ask people to think up your characters for you, especially when the people thinking them up have no idea who the characters are meant to be.

And why even mention "Vladislav" when we've got no idea who that is or how he fits in? That seems pretty pointless to me, just to toss his name in without context.

11. sereda008

sereda008 Member

As I have said, forget it. I see that most of you did not get the meaning of my post. I was wrong to post this here so please, forget it. I do not need any more replies but basically what I was trying to say at the start was that I would give the details and characteristics of Jacob and then someone with a similar character would tell me what they would do if they were him after hearing the circumstances. I did not give much detail about Jacob because I wanted to see the reaction of people. it did not work out so now the only thing I need to know is how to close a thread if possible.

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Simply stop feeding the thread, and it will soon be forgotten.

But you may want to think about what was said, even if they weren't the kinds of answers you had in mind.

Writing is not well suited to be a team activity.