1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

How long can a person be knocked out for, without it being too serious?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Ryan Elder, Sep 4, 2016.

For my story, a woman is subpoenaed to testify against a gang member who is arrested and being prosecuted. The rest of the gang, do not want her to be a witness, and she has a cop watch her house at night. I want the cop to be knocked out, or incapacitated somehow.

So for the rest of the night, she is forced to defend herself and her home on her own, with more available cops to watch her, since the police cannot send anymore, or at least have any more stay the whole night, after investigating an attack on her house.

But how can I write it so that the cop will be incapacitated for the rest of the night, but be okay the next day pretty much, so he can fit back into the story later, when I want to use him again? Is there any type of injury that would work for this effect?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Few minutes. Beyond that there might be a full recovery but it would be a serious injury.

But you can have the cop be groggy for the night after 10-15 minutes being unconscious. By the next day they might still be a bit foggy headed but could function normally.

You have a problem though in that, why can't the cop just call for more help? Maybe he needs to get locked in his trunk or something.

3. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

He calls for more help, and they arrive. They investigate the scene, and tell her to go stay at a friend's house, and then leave. At least when I asked real cops how the scene would go down, that's what they told me would happen, and it's quite common that they don't have the budget to assign an officer to watch one person's house, for a whole night.

But I do want the main character cop to still respond though, in which case, he and others that respond with him, can get the cop out of the trunk nevertheless. But after they investigate, and the intruders are gone, and they tell her to go someone else's house for the night, I want her to be alone without the police after that. So I want the one officer watching her to be groggy or unfit to carry on protecting her for the rest of the night in the plot.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

Tazered and tied up

Shot with a dart gun containing some manner of knock out or incapacitating drug (John Connely's in every dead thing the antag is using a dartgun loaded with ketamine)

5. Nicola

Nicola Member

It wouldn't be long but there are other ways for him to be unable to intervene/monitor the house, apart from him being kidnapped though I can't think of any examples

6. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

called away to a nearby emergency / distracted by something dramatic nearby like a car on fire or a shooting of a passer by are common dramatic devices