1. Cymae

Cymae New Member

Dimensions/Rules for picture books?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Cymae, Sep 22, 2009.

Hi,

I am working with an artist on a picture book, and am rather unsure what dimensions we should use for the illustrations, which I would like to be full page.

Are there any other regulations I should know about or considerations I need to think about in relation to this? I did a bit of a google search but nothing came up.

I'd eventually like to get the book published which I also need to look into whom to approach and how :)

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

2. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

If you want to publish it with a traditional publisher, you don't need to worry about dimensions or page numbers. The publisher does all that for you. They also hire their own illustrators.

3. Cymae

Cymae New Member

I'm sorry, I don't think I was entirely clear. I have an illustrator, I am doing this as a collaboration. I know picture books have been published when self-illustrated so I was wondering where I am doing my own images what dimensions would be good to use.

Thank you!

4. FrankB

FrankB New Member

Your best bet is to study the guidelines of publishers who deal with books like yours. If the information isn't in their guidelines, you could contact them and ask.

5. Cymae

Cymae New Member

Is there a list of publishers for picturebooks anywhere?

And I was also wondering if there are any restrictions on publishing, specifically if you have to publish in your own country etc.

Thanks again :D

6. Rei

No, your question was perfectly clear. It's still not something you need to worry about. They do that for you. If they will take books with illustrations, and the pictures you provide are the wrong size, they can just re-size them on a computer. But that's all counting on whether or not a publisher/agent that likes your book will take it with the illustrations you provide.

7. FrankB

FrankB New Member

No list that I know of. A good place to start researching those publishers is your local bookstore and/or library. Take a notebook along and write down the names and contact info.

Nope, no such restrictions, at least in the free world. I'm a Canadian and my publisher is in Maine.

8. Rei

In general, there are no restrictions, but there are smaller publishers that prefer to stick to being regional. Lots of Canadian publishers prefer to only publish Canadians.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto the info given above...

but as for your wanting to use your own illustrator, you should know that in the us, the vast majority of publishers assign their own illustrators and will not even allow you submit artwork...

in fact, many won't allow you to indicate where illustrations will go, either, accepting only the ms text, period...

i mentor many writers of children's picture books, so if you want any help with this, just drop me a line... i also have lists of publishers in several countries that i'll be glad to pass on...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

10. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

I've always wondered about that. In picture books the pictures are so much more important than the words that it would make more sense to me if the publisher accepted artwork and then had their department insert their own text. It's got to be pretty hard to sell a book idea with no pictures when your text is composed of gems like "see spot run."

11. arron89

arron89 Banned

Does that mean that something like Where the Wild Things Are was accepted for publication on the strength of its 10 sentences alone, and that Sendak's artwas only accepted later?

Just wondering...don't know anything about picture book publishing...

12. Rei

Obviously we don't know how it was chosen for publication, but it may very well have been chosen on those ten sentences alone. The editor may have imagined what kind of illustrations would go with it. The editor would also know how much children in the target age group can handle, and by the time they reach that position in a publisher should be able to decide if the text is worthwhile even without the illustrations.

13. mammamaia

sendak was known and respected as a children's book illustrator for many years, before he turned his talent to the text for 'wild things'...

and that was published back in 1963, anyway, so isn't relevant to today's publishing world...

14. arron89

arron89 Banned

i seee.......

15. Rei

Good point, maia, but there are more recent books that have very little text and lots of illustrations. For picture books that short, a publisher should be able decide if it's worthwhile even without illustrations.

16. mammamaia

i agree... of course they can, rei, since that's what they do...

and most pb publishers don't allow writers to submit artwork, or to even indicate where it should go in the text, so it's no problem for a writer to send in a ms of only 500 words, [or less], as long as they tell a story that little ones would enjoy and that can easily be illustrated...