Tags:
  1. ryan_mckenzie

ryan_mckenzie New Member

Writing a story for a film.

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by ryan_mckenzie, Jun 24, 2008.

Hello everyone,

I know most of you will dread the following statement, but bare with me. I am new to the forum, and yes, new to writing.
    I have recently decided to begin production on my own independent CGI film. I have in my head a very typical image of the characters, scenario, basic scenes and so on. It's all muddled up though, because I am yet to construct the story.

This is where I've come to pause.

So I've passed my higher english. But like all "high school subjects", those were just the basics. I lack confidence in writing. I feel like I'm missing basic "writing principles".
    I want to learn HOW my story SHOULD be constructed. Surely there are rules when writing.

Thanks,
    Ryan.

EDIT: I found this "do it over night" guide. Which seems a little un-professional, but hopefully someone here can be the judge of that...
    http://www.visualwriter.com/HowTo/Plot.htm
    My question there is, can I honestly write a story from that basic guide?

2. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Well, first off there are not 'rules' that specify how a story should be constructed. Follow the Beggining-Middle-End frame, add some twists and a good dialogue that make the characters believable. I'm Mexican, and sometimes I think my lexicon is limited. Believe me, there is no better way to learn words and to master English than reading and writing, so keep doing it!

3. Klee

Klee New Member

There isn't a set "rule" on how you should do it. I'd recommend (and this is only my personal opinion) to start asking yourself what the story is gonna be about, a basic premise or a character. Something else you'll probably hear is "write about what you know about", that doesn't mean that you can't picture your story in another country or another time, just take in account that you should do as much research as you can.

That's more or less my own process, but nobody can really tell you if there's a correct way to write. Just do it.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm sure it's possible for some to do... whether you can or not depends on you, doesn't it?...

there are basic rules 'n regs for writing screenplays and whether it's a live action film, or animated, the format is basically the same... i mentor/help lots of aspiring screenwriters, so i'll be glad to give you a hand if you want... i can also send you a format guide and other tips from the pros on how to build a script, if you email me...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

5. ryan_mckenzie

ryan_mckenzie New Member

Thank you all very much for these helpful replies.
    Maia, I would be very grateful to receive your personal help. My email is...

ryan_mckenzie@btinternet.com
    I'll add you to my address book, and email you tomorrow.

Thanks again, this has been very helpful.
    Ryan.