?

How long do you take to write a standard poem?

1. Under 20 minutes

37.5%
  2. 20 minutes - 1 hour

37.5%
  3. 1 hour - 2 hours

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2 hours +

25.0%
  1. Gannon

Gannon Contributing Member Contributor

How long does it take you to write your poetry?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Gannon, May 24, 2007.

Personally I tend to take about 20 - 30 mins a piece.

This is because of a few reasons.

1) I get a bit annoyed trying to refine and simply post

2) I know that I won't be producing greatness so should be happy with what I knock out in that time

3) I am impatient and keen to get it on the site

4) I'm in it for the fun of it - too much work would reduce the fun

Let me know what you do.

2. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

Sometimes I spend around 1 hour to 4 days writing a piece.
    But that is due to the fact that I have two kids and a very busy schedule during the day and at night I am on the internet, namely here relaxing for a few hours before I go to bed.

Sometimes it takes me a whole of 5 to 30 minutes to write a piece, but most of the time around an hour or more.

I like to spend time writing my poetry and seeing myself if it can be improved and other times i write something just for fun and post iy even though it isn't that good.

But I don't post a lot of my poetry as I only really post the stuff that I need help with or think wow I've done an awesome job and now I want a critique and comments to see what else can be done.

3. Domoviye

Domoviye Contributing Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Usually under an hour. Although I have spent four hours writing one poem in the past. And once for an English term paper, I spent several hours writing and rewriting, and several days thinking and rethinking it. Got a good mark on that one as well.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as long as it takes... lots of my short bits i've written in minutes, while some multi-page pieces have taken days to start, finish and refine...

time spent should never be a factor, if you're practicing the art of 'poetry'...

that said, if just tossing off doggerel, i suppose one might want to brag about how quickly it can be done... :p

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributing Member Contributor

it only ever takes me like ten minutes at max to write a poem, but i seldom write poetry. i only write poems when something springs to my mind and i just get it all down in minutes. i don't like to sit and have to think properly about what i am writing where poetry is conserned, i onyl write it if the peice is there, in my mind.
    Heather