1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

could writing be the wrong form?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Rumwriter, Aug 12, 2011.

Hey,

it dawned on me that perhaps my story just isn't meant to be written. Maybe it was meant to be a tv series, or cartoon, or movie, or something else.

Do you think that some things just don't carry over correctly as books? or can anything be written if it's given the proper attention?

2. Jayyy1014

Jayyy1014 Jerrica Contributor

Anything can be written, If written well. It all depends on how you word it. When written well it's probably going to be a good book. If not, It'll probably suck. Just a matter of how you write it really (IS what I'm trying to say.) Also Make sure you add interesting things to it, you're the writer you have no limitations! :) I'd say go for it! Write it!

3. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

i am writing it-have been writing it for a long time. but i think of other things which have such great stories which i don't think would have been as good if they'd been in book form.

the last airbender was a great cartoon, but i think as a book it wouldn't have been nearly as captivating. same is true with the graphic novel bone, or the video game kingdom hearts.

but i could be wrong.

4. MBthegirl

MBthegirl New Member

I am not the most experienced writer, but I do have an opinion.

I also truly believe that anything can be written well. That's not to say that a story could be wildly successful as a movie. If the story is on paper, the audience can't rely on cues from other senses, sight and hearing, to fill in the blanks. If there are too many blanks in the details, I feel like I'm not doing the story justice. On the flip side, too much detail it might throw the pacing of the story off. I look at writing a story the way you might choose scenes for a movie. Instead of great cinematography, your production value becomes your writing style.

5. Rassidan

Rassidan New Member

It is possible that your story could function better as a movie or play but you are still going to have to write a script of sort to convey why someone would want to produce your story as a movie.

6. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

Dude, I think both The Last Airbender and Kingdom Hearts would be awesome as book series! :D
    Bone I haven't read, so I wouldn't know.

7. Balmarog

Balmarog New Member

I've had that problem with a piece I started writing recently. I had first pictured it as being a graphic novel, but I started to write it as prose. Now I'm looking at the few pages I have and I'm wondering if I should keep going, or make it into the comic it wants to be.

I think some ideas are best represented in one specific medium, but you can turn pretty much anything into prose.

That's my opinion.

8. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I think anything can be adapted to a book, but at the same time, some stuff might just be better as a TV series. I agree. Of course, sometimes you gotta go with what you can.

9. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Don't give up. I know i almost did. After i get better with my writing, i will eventually start on my other fantasy/science fiction novel. But you should keep writing it.

10. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Like the (*sarcasn on*) awesome (*sarcasm off*) The Last Airbender movie? :D

On topic, this is the ancient dilemma which one is the best: The book or the movie. Personally, I think they are both great, but very different. The same story can work for books, movies, tv-series, computer games, computer novels, stage plays, you name it. The important part is you can't take the story from one media and simply transfer it directly to another and hope it will work. That never works. You can successfully transfer it from one media to another, but if you do, you will have to make updates and small changes to make it fit the new media. For instance, the Lord of the Rings book works great because there's a lot of descriptions, long dialogues and so on. The movie works too, but it focus a lot more on the visual side and getting to the point. If you had taken the LotR-books and transfered them to a movie page by page, it would have been aweful.