Novel How long should a Book series be?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Aug 8, 2011.

1. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I agree with you if you're saying your first novel is a learning tool, and the finished product will most likely not be as great as something you now have the potential to produce. But a first novel also happens to be the most difficult to publish, which is why I mostly find novels by debut authors to be far more enjoyable than a popular author's thirteenth offering. A published author has more freedom to write whatever he wants. A debut author has strict quality control to adhere to, anything short of excellence will be thrown out. So if your first novel makes it to print, I wouldn't be too doubtful about making it the anchor of the series. I mean it triumphed over the greatest obstacle in an author's career. It has to have some merit.

And you can always go back and rewrite that first book as your skills develop through practice.

And again I have to say that many new authors are given multi-book deals so if it's something you want I wouldn't discourage it completely. Just make sure there's a clear resolution in your first book. But you don't have to tie every single plot point up. When I was lucky enough to acquire my agent, my manuscript ended with a bit of a cliffhanger (that's after the primary conflict was resolved). The agent herself suggested that this would work far better as a series, and that I should start outlining sequels, as some editors need a few details on the table before committing to an offer. She's obtained trilogy contracts for debut authors before, and there are many unpublished writers who've launched their careers with a series. In fact, if you're successful, it's a great way to cause a splash. It does happen.