1. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Do Publishers care?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Lemex, Jun 6, 2008.

This sounds like a silly, and a little bit vain, of a question.
    But, do puplishers care if you have been to University?
    I hear they see you in a better light if you have been to Uni.
    If this is true, then isn't that a major disadvantige to people who like writing.
    But can not afford the University fees, or simply did not want to go?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

An interesting question. My first reaction is, "No, why should they even care?"

But honestly, I don't know. Certainly enough other fields care more than they should about that.

Obviously it would matter more if you are writing a textbook or other specialized nonfiction. Other than that, all that should matter is the writing itself.

3. jps117

jps117 New Member

Lake Highlands Area, Dallas, Texas, United States
    I agree with Cogito.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

It depends on the topic...nonfiction, your credentials do make a difference. If you're writing about mental illness, having a degree in Psychology (more than a Bachelor of Science for sure) or an independently licenced mental health therapist with an advanced degree coupled with clinical experience, would certainly help.

For fiction, a possessing a degree would be much less.

An example of where educational degrees and experience may count for fiction, for example, would be if you were writing a military thriller and you were a Navy Seal or an F-15 Pilot, etc. Or if you're writing a crime mystery, and you work(ed) as a police officer in a large city, or as a trained fire investigator...etc. The reason being that you would have accumulated knowledge in the area of fiction being written through experience. However, for military thrillers, having great depth and years of military experience isn't manditory. Tom Clancy would be a good example of that. He's sharp, does research and has connections to ask and find out what he needs to know.

But listing in a cover letter that you're a graduate of XXXXXXX University, suma cum laude or the like won't impress them much. What does it bring to the story? That XXXXX Magazine or XXXXX Publishing published your work(s) will impress an editor or agent more. But in the end, it's the story itself that will sell or not (unless you happen to be a celebrity or something along that line).

Terry

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I agree with the others. Many successful writers didn't attend college, let alone university.
    It's the quality of the writing that matters.

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

A college degree usually diminishes simple mistakes such as using "if, than", instead of "if, then". As far as publisher bias, I agree with the other comments above.

Cog...FOTFLMAO at your new picture! Love it!

.....NaCl

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Actually, we are all prone to basic human errors.
    But thank you for pointing that out.
    Back onto subject, huh?

Also, I didn't use the words 'If, than.'

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Was it edited/corrected in the first post by Lemex about the same time the most recent post by Lemex was made (time dated edit record)? The only other options would appear to be that NaCl quoted Lemex but changed the quote or a moderator went in and edited the first post.

Just curious. Okay, back to topic.

Terry

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

salty just forgot to insert an ellipsis to show that there were words elided between 'if' and 'than' when he quoted the goof...

anyway... on the 'do they care?' question, i agree with what both salty and terry had to say, can't think of anything to add that needs to be said...

love and hugs to all, maia

10. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Terry,

I would NEVER change someone's quote to make a point. The language in my post is exactly what was there when I clicked on the "Quote" button.

mammamaia is correct. I should have inserted an ellipsis to illustrate my point; so much for shortcuts...DUH!

.....NaCl