1. lockyr

lockyr New Member

Website Posting work to website over publishing (Quantity over Quality)

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by lockyr, Jul 3, 2013.

Hi everyone,

I've recently started a website to get my name out there as a CNF/sports writer and am wondering what people think about posting pieces I had originally intended to publish to the website instead? My thoughts are that in posting them myself (along with other published stories), I am immediately building a portfolio to show my work. The downside is that I have put up two or three pieces I wanted to publish, but now I'm guessing would be ineligible to send in anywhere. When I say "Quantity over Quality" I don't mean that the time and effort into the pieces themselves has been lost, just the time in waiting for publishers traded for an instant portfolio. I've hung onto my personal favourite pieces to wait out the publishing game, but will sacrificing the other few to try the social media route work?

2. Anthony Martin

Anthony Martin Active Member

This is an interesting question, one that I've faced in the past. In my situation, I keep the longer pieces (short stories, essays, creative non-fiction and the like) to myself and work on them with the intent of eventually submitting them for publication. I limit my blog to poetry, experimental fiction, flash and other pieces that, though strong, aren't intended for submission but are still worthy of "building my digital persona as an author".

Of course, you could just write so prolifically that your decision to publish on the blog or to submit is irrelevant. :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Be careful what you put on your website before you are a published author. There is an inevitable growth and improvement in writing skills as you approach the Published status. Your posted pieces may just come back to haunt you.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

What is the purpose of the 'portfolio'?
    What is the goal of it? To prove or demonstrate what? What is the target audience of the portfolio?

What is the point of 'getting your name out there'?
    How will individuals come across it? What will they come away with and what purpose will it serve?

Nothing wrong with the idea, lockyr. But I am unclear as to the reasoning, making it difficult to give a good opinion. But maybe with the sport journalist field, news paper and other editors search social media or blogs for talent?

5. lockyr

lockyr New Member

Thank you all for the feedback. TWErvin2, I think the main goal of the website is to make my CNF writing available. The stories I've had published so far are all shorter, sports journo pieces, so I figured by having the publication put a link at the foot of the pieces they run back to my website, readers can see that I also have longer CNF pieces available. Also one of the stories for instance was a timely piece that I hadn't submitted anywhere, so figured why not get it up there if it's a strong enough piece that would no longer be timely for publication.

Cogito, I think having earlier pieces online coming back to haunt me later is a reasonable concern and I will keep it in mind before posting more work there.

And Anthony, I like your format for what to keep and what to publish. How long would you hang onto some of those longer pieces before publishing though? I'm just conscious of hording work that I wrote to be read by others. And I know I procrastinate enough that I could potentially keep some pieces hidden away for the next decade or longer if I don't get them out early.

6. Anthony Martin

[MENTION=55046]lockyr[/MENTION]

Before publishing where? If I intend to publish a piece in quarterlies or online literary magazines, I don't hold on to them for any other purpose than working and reworking and reworking them until I feel they are ready to be sent out for submissions. Obviously, with longer pieces, this can be a more arduous, long-term process (that might eventually drive you insane).

7. lockyr

lockyr New Member

Anthony, with my 3,000 odd word CNF pieces I feel like I could rework them another hundred times just to put off the submission process. They've all been peer edited and workshopped then reworked again by me a few times. Do you recommend aiming for unpaid local publications to get a couple out there, or shoot for a larger (within reach) paid quarterly? What are your thoughts on multiple submissions? I've had profs argue both sides of sending to a few publications at once. And how long do you give a publication without reply before submitting somewhere else, I had been told email them a month after submitting?

8. ScottPCarroll

ScottPCarroll New Member

Currently I have a lot of my old writing on my site but I plan on taking it down when I have time. It simply doesn't add any value, and I'm not particularly proud of any of it. My 'publication ready' stuff I have safely tucked away, so everything creative on-site isn't really a good representation of my work. Technically, having a creative piece on your personal website usually doesn't disqualify it from publication elsewhere (in my experience), but people who read author blogs generally want to read about getting published, building a readership, and honing their craft. They aren't looking to read a 3,000 word short story. However, I do plan on linking out to publications that feature my work and keeping very short samples on the site as a sort of freelancing resume for anyone who is curious, but I don't expect it to draw an audience or be the reason people visit the site.

9. Anthony Martin

[MENTION=55046]lockyr[/MENTION]

Unpaid local publications might be limited in terms of readership. Digital and print quarterlies that are better known in the wider literary community might be a better bet, especially since you can submit, really, to any and all of them (and most quarterlies publish some creative non-fiction).

RE: Simultaneous submissions

I cannot speak for your local, unpaid publications; but most print and digital quarterlies (the reputable ones, at least) list their submission guidelines on their websites, clear as day. While it is subjective to the market, most literary magazines accept simultaneous submissions (they just ask that you notify them immediately if the piece you submitted has been accepted elsewhere). If simultaneous submissions are accepted, and you feel that your work is worthy of your name and a greater audience, then I say submit, submit, submit. If you go this route, you do not have to worry about submission queries (if you still are, some litmags provide details about when and how to query about submission status).

10. Anthony Martin

[MENTION=55295]ScottPCarroll[/MENTION]

Good points. I utilize my blog in much the same way.