How many books do you typically read at one time?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cicero, May 3, 2008.

?

How many?

Poll closed May 9, 2008.
  1. I can't read.

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. 1

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. 2

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 3

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5+

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. lessa

lessa New Member

I am pretty sure he will be back next Monday.
    I speed read always have and I don't think I could read that many books in a week and I only have to do housework.

2. FinalConflict

FinalConflict New Member

I normally read one at a time cause that was I can focus on just that book.

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Though the poll is closed, I too read about 2 books at a time. Usually one fiction and one non-fiction.

4. juniofegalon

juniofegalon New Member

Three or Four depending on how good they are... I will usually start out reading three and then finish them each one by one depending on how interesting the story is... this doesnt work for a lot of ppl b/c they will forget the plotline but, it's pretty easy if the characters dont have the same names.... :)

5. princess K

princess K New Member

I only ever read one novel at a time, but I get really attached to it and miss it when im finished :)

last book I read was P.S I love You, finished it last night. Beautiful book.

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I do not skim.
    I love reading. I love it.
    I love all the worlds I explore.
    I love all the verbage used.
    Every colliquism explained.

I go to a Indepedent study program. I go to school once a week. I can finish my homework on the day I go to school. So I have more time at home to read.
    I have all As.
    I comprehend every piece of literature I read.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

much as i love books and think everyone should read them, if a child of mine read 56 books per week, i'd seek out a good therapist, asap... it's obsessive behavior, to say the least... there's more to life than fiction, honeybunch...

now, if you were a bona fide prodigy studying all kinds of subjects and not just reading fiction, then i might not be so worried, though i'd still insist on limiting the time spent with books, to allow for other activities... but if all you're doing is gobbling up fiction non-stop, then you're not dealing with real life and will not mature into a well-balanced individual... that's a mega-mom's two cents worth... you can take it or leave it...

love and worried hugs, maia

8. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Well to what you said there is quote I read and I see a lot of truth in it.
    The quote is:
    Fiction reveals truths reality obscures.

And its true.
    I don't just read fiction. I read a lot of science books as well.
    I have never been good in society. I like escaping.
    I guess I suffer from escapism.
    But life is so dull other wise.
    Nothing ever happens.
    I wish something happened.
    Something wonderful.
    I wish vampires, gnomes, witches, etc.
    Existed.

9. Vertz

Vertz New Member

I've been reading one book at a time since I was a kid, but I recently started reading two at a time. As long as I commit myself completely to reading, I get a lot out of both. At least it's getting me through my "must read" pile a little faster. If I read any more than two, though, I might lose track of everything :p

10. lessa

lessa New Member

Times certainly have changed.
    When I was a kid I used to be sent outside to play if I was reading too much.
    You need exercise and fresh air was the mantra..
    So out I went found a nice quiet place pulled out my book and read.
    I used to send my son's outside to play or they would have been in the bedroom reading constantly.
    Dom never really appreciated being kicked out of the house but they had to learn to interact with people their own age and you can't do that with your nose stuck in a book.

Leka you say you escape in your books.
    My advice is learn to escape into the real world.
    Lots of interesting things happen there. You just have to look for them.
    I love to use books as an escape and I am the greatest for doing it. Did it from the time I was 5.
    But the real world is the place you have to escape to and from not with books but with your changing attitude and life skills.
    Sorry if you think this is a lecture or a criticism it isn't meant to be.
    It is just some advice from an older escape artist who finally managed to change and I think for the better.

11. Giant Squid

Giant Squid New Member

I imagine I might be able to juggle one or two. I'd rather just read one until the end before I start a new one though.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

leaka... here's more of my mommy's observations/advice...

don't know what you consider 'science books'... are they things you read to learn something, or what?... and what percentage of all the books you read would they make up?...

that's not a healthy state to be in, sweetieheart... you do live in the real world, whether you want to or not, so need to learn how to exist in it and work in it to make something of yourself and your life... ignoring it won't get you anywhere...

despite snow white's wishful thinking in the disney classic, wishing won't make it so!... besides which, things happen in the world around you all the time, but with your nose in a book 24/7, you're not going to notice them, will you?... if you want things to happen in your own life, you have to take steps to make them happen, not just wish for it...

just you're being alive is 'something wonderful'... don't make it an exercise in futility by not doing anything with the life you were given... and your mother carrying you around for 9 months and then giving birth to you was 'something wonderful'... don't make her effort be all for nought, by not valuing the life she gave you...

at 18, you're way too old to stay stuck in a fantasy world and childish wishes... do you ever intend to grow up, or will you just keep reading and not doing anything [supported by parents you should be helping] and doing something useful in life?...

the least you can do to start changing over from being a useless lump on a log with a book in your hand, into something useful, is to spend more time writing, than you do reading... maybe you'll find you have things to say that others will enjoy [or need to be] reading... put all that reading to work, use it to get your writing up to publishable standards and let that pull you out of your fantasy world into the real one of making a living...

ok... parental lecture over... love and hugs, maia

13. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

two people around at least admitted they can't read...;p..

14. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I know, but I don't know how to get over my life. At one point in time I use to live in the real world.
    At one point in time I did.
    But I never got along with any of the children. I escaped because I don't want to feel the pain of being lonely.
    Books are my friends.
    And my friends are books.
    They understand me just as my writing understands me.

I know.
    But I want to put my wishful thinking to use by using my wishful thinking as a way to write.[/quote]

I know.

15. lessa

lessa New Member

"I know, but I don't know how to get over my life. At one point in time I use to live in the real world.
    At one point in time I did.
    But I never got along with any of the children. I escaped because I don't want to feel the pain of being lonely.
    Books are my friends.
    And my friends are books.
    They understand me just as my writing understands me."

Leaka please take it from someone who definetly knows how you feel.
    I started escaping when I was 5 years old.
    Too much pain in the real world.
    If you have read any of my stories children's section. You will see that animals are the main characters.
    Doby the dragon
    Albert the dragon
    Missie Bear
    I had a wonderful friend when I was young. He would take me to all sorts of wonderful places in the world when my father would start belittling me. Which was almost every time he saw me, being happy.
    Without my friend I don't think I could have survived mentally as a child.
    Nobody knew he was there since even at that young age I knew he would be sent away like other friends I had in the real world. He was my secret.
    With the family I lived in I was not able to make friends. How can someone outside of your family like you when your own parents didn't. So I was a very lonely loner.
    I learned when I left home for the first time that people actually like me for me.
    Unfortunately this did not happen until I was 17 so I had missed out on a lot of life.
    I still have problems with my family and with making and keeping friends but I am working at it still.
    Please try and take 3 hours each week and go out and talk to people. Strangers class mates old people who would love to have some young person take an interest in them.
    You will be surprised how much the real world has to offer you.
    Believe me I was.

16. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

That's good for you, but not good for me. I hate the looks I get from outside.
    Its like I don't belong anywhere.
    I feel as if I am drifting.
    I see problems in this society that no one else sees. That many people ignore.
    I feel so out of place.
    I go to school and kids make fun of me.
    Even when I try my best to be me.
    I try to talk about the books I read or I try to get interested in them
    I can't the look in their eyes.
    The look at me with those eyes.
    I feel uncomfortable.
    Very uncomfortable. I don't like people and people don't like me. I can see things people can't see.
    I try and I can't.
    Its so painful, its so lonely, but I don't know how to change.

17. lessa

lessa New Member

Leka believe me. I know exactly those same feelings.
    Have had them for 50 years. I have not fit in for as long as I can remember and I have memories of 3 years of age.
    My best friend at that age was a man my father's age and he had no friends because he was dieing and people thought it too hard to talk to him since they didn't know whether to ignore he was dieing or talk about it so they did neither. They ignored him.
    I was 3 all the kids on the block were in school and he could not get off the couch so I had a captive audience. My mother would come to take me home telling me to leave poor Mr. Mackey in peace he would say no Faye please let her stay she doesn't treat me like a dead man. This went on for 6 months until he finally was left in peace.
    The next time I ever felt I was useful or accepted was when I worked in a nursing home. Was never accepted by the other staff but the patients loved me. I would take my coffee breaks not with the staff but in the patients rooms. They felt neglected and alone and scared of life. I was like a breath of fresh air to them.
    I think the secret to finding a place to belong is finding someone who needs to be accepted and accept them.
    They may not be the most intelligent biggest jock or the most beautiful girl. They could be someone just like you trying to find some place to fit in.
    You have friends here so just move your attitude to the real world.
    Please try and your life will be fuller. may not be always comfortable but it will be a real life.
    I will not say anymore since that would be pushing my opinions on you too much but if you want to discuss it more email me. I will always listen.