How many characters are too many?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ultermarto, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Jonathan Pushkin

Jonathan Pushkin Member

You can't have too many characters.

Actually...maybe ...it depends on the length of the book and whether or not the plot relies on the characters or not.

2. shangrila

shangrila New Member

The Malazan series, just as an example, names 76 different and unique marines and that's not even half of the characters in that particular book. I suppose you don't want too many "main characters", but as long as there's character development and it's not too confusing, there shouldn't be a problem.

3. lasciel

lasciel New Member

When I have trouble keeping tabs on all of my different characters, I'll work up character bios and then stick them to the wall in front of my desk :)
    That way, I can just look up!

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you, the author, need a cheat sheet to keep track of all your characters, what about the poor reader? As the writer, your familiarity with your character will naturally be greater than that of anyone else.

5. Protar

Protar Active Member

It is possible you know to have a story with more than one Protagonist. I feel my own story has 3 people that you could call a Protagonist. Those archetypes are good, but they're flexible, and more than one character can fulfill the same character role within a story.

6. Tashanel

Tashanel Member

Like I said, it is simple formula and old ones. That just an example if the main character with protagonist. I'm just suggest how bout to turning other character into other function. The same function (like 3 same character as protagonist), will be hard to tell than just one luke skywalker as protagonist, the whole empire as antagonist, chewbacca as emotion, princess leia as reason, han solo as skeptic, r2d2&c3p0 as sidekick, obi wan as guardian, darthvader as contagonist (imagine if obi wan and r2d2&c3p0 have a protagonist portion, I'm sure star wars not going anywhere).

And of course one function for one character will contrast in the story than have many character with same purpose. Well, it depends on the story thought :3

7. michaelj

michaelj Active Member

Personally I think if you have to jump from character to character, so like 10 chapters later you bump into "joe" again who is also a main character, then theres problems. (As the reader will soon forget).

8. koyelevergreen

koyelevergreen New Member

9. koyelevergreen

koyelevergreen New Member

Too many characters is dangerous in fiction writing as long as they don't add essence to the story or help in building a well-grounded plot.

10. Nooshi

Nooshi Member

When you lose track of them and their point in the story, then that is too many in my books. They have to serve the story: if they don't do that, you have to get rid of them.