1. Ann

Ann New Member

Nervous . . .

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Ann, Apr 28, 2009.

Im new to this site and wont be putting any of my own work up for review until my confidence grows a little (something Im hoping this site will help me with). However, I would like to do a few reviews to get involved with 'team spirit' so to speak and to hopefully learn and educate myself at the same time. The problem is, I feel a bit cheeky reviewing an experienced writer's work when I am such a novice still.

Would anyone be offended reading a review from someone like me?

I have been writing for years, but only now have decided to take my passion seriously. Im really excited about this site because I know I can learn so much from it. I just need to boost my confidence!

2. xxtake_controlxx

xxtake_controlxx New Member

I wouldn't be offended (not that I'm an experienced writer, or anything). Actually, I'm pretty much the furthest thing away from an experienced writer considering both my age and my lack of experience.

But that, I think, is besides the point.

What I wanted to say was: If you think something needs correcting, don't be afraid to say it. Even the most experienced writers aren't perfect and there are ways to improve everything. If it's a grammatical error, that's fantastic. If it's more stylistic, then the writer will read it and either agree with you or respectfully disagree. That's the worst that can happen. If people are posting their work, they want reviews and won't get angry at what you say.

Maybe I'm speaking for everyone when I shouldn't. But that's the message I got, and that's my thought process when it comes to reviewing.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

You don't need to be a great writer yourself to write criticism of writing. Think of all the books of lit crit that have been written about the greatest writing ever written...I doubt many of those people could write a better novel, but that doesn't mean they can't comment on it.
    And no good writer is going to scoff at constructive criticism. Even if they don't make the changes you've suggested, showing them another way to solve their problems is always an interesting thing.

4. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

to become a writer you need to know how to review/critique. any experience in doing so would be of value to both you and the reviewer. Critique the piece, not the person and you can't go wrong.

good writing/reviewing to you

5. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

I'm just honored you would consider me experianced!

Review away my friend.

6. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

I felt exactly the same as you when I first started. What helped me was to read the reviews of others. Read the piece up for review and then the comments posted by others.

I still haven't put any of my work up for review yet, because I'm not confident enough but I have found that reviewing and reading other reviews has improved my writing.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your work in the review room!