How many of you think harry potter is childish?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by sereda008, Aug 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

:) I'm not disputing he is based on cereberus, just wondering if he may have more than one origin. Hagrid always strikes me as a hairy highland man - the name MacChuchter would have suited him.

If I was the type to look for symbolism you could find some wonderful stuff in Hagrid and apply it to the Picts/Scots thing.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Could very well be. I thought the Celtic god Bran was supposed to have had some mystical hounds, though whether they had more than one head, I don't know.

I got the same impression of Hagrid. Makes me think of a highland type, though I've thought of him at times as more of a Norseman as well - Jotun, perhaps.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Lord of the Isles/Shetlanders/Morayshire coast have huge scandinavian connections. There is a lot of old Norse in some of the Scots dialects. Thats why my brain is trying desperatly trying to remember. Harry Potter is incredibly Scots in places - even down to the Greek references a good classical education was valued by the Scots a lot longer than in England.

4. Cornflower

Cornflower Member

I just remember another point about Cerbus/Fluffy- both were put to sleep by one of the Greek heroes (I don't call Orpheus being a hero) or the hero (Harry) with music.

well it does have a lot of Greek references-about Hagrid-one of his names-The first name comes from Greek mythology-in kid's version he was the Groundskeepers of Mount Olympus or in the adult version he was someone Zeus framed for murder. Than there's Mr Filch-Mr. Flich's first name is Argus-and if you read Greek mythology you would remember the guy with a hundred eyes.

Hermione's name, comes from the daughter of Helen of Troy and her husband Menelaus-sp? but Rowling got the name from Shakespeare's A Winter's Tale.

Than there's the only business of the Philosopher's Stone, people been looking for it for centuries-why do you think alchemy was so popular before, in and after Nicholas Flamel's time (besides the little legend-saying he's not in his suppose grave)?

Not to mention the whole orphan-raised by someone else-is a pretty old reference itself.

I have a lot more Greek/Roman and literature references to Harry Potter

5. tanvi02

tanvi02 New Member

even though i have not read any of the book...but i have seen and heard people recommending it for kids or more appropriate teens....So, i think it is majorly written for keeping the teenagers in mind.:)