How many people would enjoy a...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by TheApprentice, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

Anti-hero stories seem to have grown in popularity in recent years, but they've always been with us. A few that come quickly to mind:

Dirty Harry
    Fitz, from Cracker (British TV series starring Robbie Coltrane)
    Vic Mackey (The Shield)
    Tony Soprano
    Dexter Morgan

These characters all dish out their own style of justice, but if they were just a character outline without the stories they would likely be reviewed as repulsive. They commit murder and violence and steal from people they perceive as 'bad guys' even though they themselves are 'bad'. The exception to my list above is the character of Fitz, who is a boozing, womanizing liar that is totally undependable and reprehensible to those close to him, yet always comes through in the end to get the 'bad guy'. He's pretty detestable as a human being but still does good, so we root for him in spite of his demons. If written well, these types of characters are compelling and wildly entertaining. I think they may pose a bigger challenge to the writer, but also are far more entertaining to work with.

Personal case-in-point: my current novel is about a 24 year old girl who comes from a rough background, worked as a stripper, has vulgar language, has sex freely and so on. She winds up through the story of becoming a killer with no remorse, yet the reader (hopefully) will find themselves rooting for her because she only kills bad guys. Even though she operates outside the law, she ultimately does society good by removing some of the dreck from the planet. You wouldn't want her living next door, but you still (again, hopefully if I do my job right) wind up liking her, even though you shouldn't.

2. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Sounds like Aileen Wuornos. Have you seen Monster? (To say "I recommend it" would be an understatement.)

About anti-heros: Walter White is the greatest fictional character ever imagined, and he is an anti-hero. He is a special breed of anti-hero: the kind who begins as a kind soul but unremarkable person, and who rises to greatness by using his talents selfishly and by becoming less and less of a sympathetic character.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Simple explanation. Two Types

1. THE Anti Hero gets to the same conclusion by NOT following the stereotypical ethos of a hero.
    2. The protagonist is evil and therefore is the 'Hero' of the story. (godfather charaters, american pscyco)
    all inherently evil but are the focus of the story therefore Anti heroes.

BUT!!! Being down and dirty is not enough. They are walking a fine line between evil and good, almost teetering more to the evil side, so they can ALMOST be mistaken for the villian. They make others uncomfortable and use means that are not conventional...ie they may kill instead of negotiate. And plot wise they may not enter the story for selfless reasons, it could be monetary or just dragged in kicking and screaming.

Its the redemption of the character that can make or break the character.

Comics do this well, ie Venom, Punisher, Rorschach...NOT BATMAN (although dark and twisted, he follows a code and does good).

4. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Personally I would like to see a clean cut likable hero again, fighting back against the evils.

5. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

I disagree. I think Anti-Heroes are often times extremely likeable. Look at Jack Sparrow, Jack Reacher, even someone like Sandor Clegane (who is EXTREMELY controversial and it's always a heated discussion among A Song of Ice and Fire fans if he's a villain or not).

In the end. Whether a traditional hero or anti-hero as long as they're a well thought out, complicated character, people will enjoy reading about them.

6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

To be fair, I think what @SuperVenom was saying is that it'd be nice to have heroes who weren't selfish bastards only in the hero business for their own gains. Jack Sparrow is likeable, but was he ever in it for anything other than what he wanted? The first movie, all he wanted was his ship back and was willing to let Will die for it. In the second movie, he wanted Davey Jones off his back, and was willing to sell Will to him for it. In the third? He wanted immortality. Again, he was likeable and did learn some lessons along the way, but his ambitions for the most part revolved around himself. Like I said, some people have different tastes. You and I don't mind anti-heroes, others despise them.

7. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

I like Anti Heros, I just think they are flooding teh market. Han Solo (a typical Anti hero i suppose) was emphasized as a bad ass when placed next to Luke. A balance I think should be restored in fiction and movies. I do think that we now look down on valor and chivalry, pushing it aside for attitude which can come across as Meh! Whats stopping being Good being enuff if the story arc allows for progression of character, without the sacrifice of who they are?

8. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

Oh there we can agree. Anti-Heroes do seem to be "in" right now. Along with sexy Vampire boys and gritty fantasy.