1. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 Senior Member

How many projects are you working on?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by FirstTimeNovelist91, Aug 1, 2012.

Do you have a limit on how many projects you work on? I have two novels I am writing, but I want to start a third. Not sure if that would be too much, but I was wondering about other people and their preferences.

How many projects are you working on atm?

2. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I'm currently working on one out of the two I have. I only like to concentrate on one at a time. Completing one first draft of a novel is already stressful for me lol two might destroy my mind xD.

3. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

I've finished one novel, and it's sitting, resting for me to edit in a couple weeks. The fill in the time, I'm working on the sequel.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

One novel and one article.

5. Bell City Fires

Bell City Fires Member

Comic scripts, film script and a novel.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm experimenting with doing one story at a time. I now have a backlog of stuff not being worked on. Sigh.

7. captain kate

captain kate Active Member

Unfortunately that's how it works...trying to write two at the same time means doing neither well. Since none of us have the time like David Weber or Stephen King to write all day, projects get backed up. I have a novella forming in my head to fill in at least one gap between Phoenix Rising and the unnamed sequel I'm working on.

8. vVvRapture

vVvRapture Member

I'm always coming up with ideas, but most of them get cast out. However, I've made progress with many so I consider them "projects". Right now, I'd say I'm in the middle of half a dozen projects, none of them close to finishing. I plan to focus solely on one of them, however, which is a 1-hour TV pilot.

9. Cerrus

Cerrus Senior Member

I'm off and on working on two story ideas.

10. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I only ever work on one thing at a time, and right now that's a historical novel. But I have an unfinished novel and an unfinished play that I set aside. If I get stuck on the historical, or bogged down on the research and feel I need to give vent to a burst of creativity, I always have the two dormant projects available.

11. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

I'm working on one main novel but I have ideas for a couple of others and I have written a few scenes in each to just "get a feeling" for them. I'm concerned about loosing focus if I spend too much time on works other than my primary work but there are days when I just want to take a break. Thinking about a different story can be relaxing.

12. epicfailpig

epicfailpig Member

I generally only work on two stories at a time, but I have this habit of writing out excerpts and outlines for other ideas whenever I feel the need to procrastinate take a break from those other stories. Unfortunately, that means that I technically have a couple dozen open projects I haven't officially started just lying around...

13. louis1

louis1 Contributing Member

One writing project. a novel. if i tried to do more my brain would implode

14. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

One novel. But I've got three set aside - and if I don't keep my focus, they can lure me into tinkering with them.
    I've been writing short stories at the same time as the novel. Which I find okay because they're not too
    distracting and fun , good exercise.

But I won't work on two major projects at the same time,
    I've tried that before and it divides my focus , and time management. Sometimes my projects can even
    cannabilize each other , one character borrows from another , similiar phrases pop up in both works.

If I have a good, major idea that comes up while I'm working on my novel, than I write it down , brainstorming
    a bit while the idea's fresh, but afterwards I set it aside.

15. dianeM

dianeM New Member

Right now I'm working on a novel and a play.

16. LuminousTyto

LuminousTyto Senior Member

I wouldn't spread out that much. It's like when you're trying to get some pirate downloads (wink) done and you have 10 at a time downloading. Yeah, those 10 files will get done at some point, but not any time soon, not like as if you were only doing 1-2 downloads.

Sides all that writing and plotting and character creation and arcs and subplots and all that is just gonna get so mixed up in your head. Sounds like a nightmare to me lol. But. . . whatever works ,: \

17. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

It's various, i'm mainly working on my fantasy project which has gotten alot further in progress. I have one project that i'm working on that's going to be a stop motion series and will be written in scripts with it's own fictional universe in it.

18. Britannica

Britannica Member

I have one fantasy that I am seriously working on and a few good ideas that I have drifting around in my mind. I have made an agreement with myself that I will not start writing another story, until, I have completed (or at least gotten a lot done) my book.

19. Exmoor Simon

Exmoor Simon New Member

I have one book finished, accepted and on the last edit, and at any one time i have four or five magazine/newspaper articles I'm working on with deadlines all around the same time at the end of the month, which makes it a little tricky, especially as I'm a man, and you know, multitasking and all that...

I think you do have to be disciplined though, or it's very easy to drift, and deadlines definitely help - maybe think about imposing your own deadline on each project you start?

20. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I like to do one project at a time cus I get a little obsessed with it, you know. I don't think I'd be able to divide my time properly because once I get writing in one, I'd be so interested I'd wanna write more and develop it, meaning eventually the 2nd project would just get set aside.

But currently I have no projects and I'm racking my brains for some ideas... :(

21. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't set any limit on how many come to me for free mentoring, or one-time help, but do have to set a limit on how many paying clients i'll take on at any given time, so i won't be shortchanging them in re the time i have available to spend on their projects...

at the moment, i'm ghostwriting one novel and doing complete rewrites on two others, while providing on-going writing lessons to someone i'd mentored for a while, who wanted significantly more time and attention than i could provide with free mentoring... that's about my upper limit... though i may take on overseeing the ghostwriting of a non-fiction book by a freelance writer whose work i can trust to satisfy the potential client who just dropped in my lap this morning...

22. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

I am currently on 3, but that's about it.

23. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Staff Contributor

I have three. A steampunk fantasy currently at 20,000 words. A sci-fi thriller currently at around 15,000 words. And a fantasy story that's 120,000, but unfortunately doesn't have an ending and I hate most of it....

24. Krystle Robison

Krystle Robison Member

I have 2 started but i am currently only working on one, i had about 60k words written once and decided i didnt like it and went and deleted everything really upset my sistr and my mom who were reading it to the point the wont read anything until its finishd

25. Warp Zone

Warp Zone Contributing Member

There's one project I'm actively working on (I'm still planning it; I'm meticulous in planning and must have every detail somewhere in a diagram) and two I'm mulling over due to plot issues (one of them seems to have no real conflict, just mass hysteria and death, and the second only has a beginning planned).