1. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

How many projects do you have going at one time?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Fitzroy Zeph, Jan 24, 2014.

Are you a monogamous writer? Faithfully working on a single piece until it's finished, only then, starting something new? Or does your current MS find you getting in late at night with the scent of a strange character on your clothes; someone else's plot stains on your collar? Are you the polygamist type, straying from one story to another like a bonobo in heat?

2. xanadu

xanadu Contributing Member Contributor

Monogamy is entrenched in my bones. Not only can I not work on more than a single project at a time, I can only work on one thing at a time, writing related or not. For instance, I can't write a novel and revise another. I can't write a novel and work on writing music. I have a hard time writing a novel and playing a video game at the same time.

So no, I can't write more than a single novel at once. The times I've tried all failed--eventually one fizzled out and the other got my full attention. I have plenty of ideas for more, which is good because it makes me work harder and faster on my current piece. Nothing like a good carrot on a stick.

3. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Contributing Member

I'm a horrible slut when it comes to stories.

Thomas Kitchen likes this.
  4. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Contributing Member

I only ever work on the actual writing stage of one project at a time or I get distracted and end up spending more time jumping between ideas than writing. However I generally also have some half thought out ideas and some in a very vague planning stage.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

I'm like xanadu in this case and can only think of one project at a time.

6. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I terrible with focusing on one story at a time only; right now, I have a third draft on the go, three first drafts, and I'm planning another novel. I also have two short stories on the go.

The bright side - the silver lining, if you will - are twofold. One, I can switch from one to another whenever I feel in the mood for a certain setting or theme. Two, I do actually finish these novels and short stories - I've had multiple ones on the go before, and I've completed them all, so I know I can do it. If I knew I couldn't, then of course I would stick to one project at a time.

7. CapnNogrow

CapnNogrow Member

I have three projects going right now. Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic and Fantasy. Three different genres. I like to switch between them depending on how I feel. It also helps me develop three totally different main characters.

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I've been focused almost exclusively on my current project since I started writing it 18 months ago. Twice, I've hit dry spells when I've taken a short break to play with a very different idea, but never for very long. Once I've finished with the first draft, I will take a break for several weeks, during which time I may go back to the other idea or, more likely, read and do other creative things (like music) until I'm ready to take on the editing process. Since I am writing a historical novel, I anticipate the editing process to be much more involved than in any of my other projects.

9. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Me too. Exactly. Except maybe the 'work faster on my current piece' bit!

xanadu likes this.
  10. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

I only write one novel or story at a time.

Sometimes I squeeze in an article, but that's a different sort of creative endeavor. I do other writing related things, such as proofing audiobook files prior to publication and things like that. Again, a different activity other than writing/revising/editing a project.

11. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

Currently, I have two on the go. However, the first, a dystopian novel, hasn't been improved by the end of last year, the second, a fantasy series (consisting of short stories and maybe a few poems, ending in a novel) is in early planning.

It's my biggest flaw, but it's probably due to the length of those projects. I believe starting smaller would help me with penning larger texts, in the near future.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've always been prone to and able to work on a slew of things at a time... may be the result of being a mother of 7, since raising that many over nearly 40 years certainly makes one a multi-tasker! :rolleyes:

as for how many... at one time, back in my writing for money years, i was:

writing the lyrics for the title song of an off-b'way musical, for the prez of mca, mike millius
    writing a commemorative poem for the planners of westport, ct's sesquecentennial
    writing a novel of my own
    writing a humorous memoir of my own
    writing a series of x-rated short storie
    doing investigation/legal briefs for 2 moms whose sexually abused kids were given to their abusers by the court
    turning out ad copy, dunning letters, start-up plans for clients such as nestle's chocolates
    running an upscale rooming house in our home
    schlepping my 2 last kids to riding and ballet lessons/performances
    battling husband #2 for a divorce on the opposite side of the country, where he had major clout and i had none

that's the kind of multi-tasking i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy... ok, so maybe i would've wished it on the playing-dirty not-yet-ex... :oops:

it's now 30 years later, and at the moment, i'm:

doing this--posting help/advice/info on 3 writing sites
    posting help/advice/info in too many linkedin threads to count
    juggling several mentees and their needs
    dealing with a daily deluge of 30-50 email messages/thread notices, most of which require responses
    all the while...
    continuing to pore through and sort/scan/catalog/file the thousands of pages of poetry/essays/etc. of a brilliant, deceased 'new american voice' whose life's work i've been honored with the task of launching into the literary world...

Fitzroy Zeph likes this.
  13. Wild Knight

Wild Knight Active Member

Usually, I do work on multiple projects at once, but this time, for nearly a whole month now, I've been working exclusively on one story. In general, it helps me to juggle some ideas to work on multiple projects, but so far... working on just one story is working out just fine for me after all.

I have always viewed myself as the unfaithful spouse straying on their oblivious wife- for some reason, when I make that analogy, I refer to myself as the "unfaithful husband" as opposed to wife, even though I'm clearly a woman.

But now this time, I've been staying with one "wife", and am not currently seeing any mistresses at this time. I don't even find myself desiring to stray from my wife. I have a beautiful story waiting to be written by "us", so I will stick with her... until I'm done with that particular story, that is.

After that, who knows when I'll be seeing my next mistress... :p:rolleyes::eek::D

14. EdFromNY

:eek::eek::eek:!

15. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

I could never abandon my love. I get into a deep head-state for whatever I'm working on, because it takes me a lot of concentration to do things that most other people don't even have to think about. I have enough plot holes/inconsistencies to worry about at the moment, and doubling that will not help.

That said, I will happily let my finished first draft sit on ice for half a year while I work on other things. If I ever get to that point, of course.

16. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributing Member Contributor

Okon, where in Beautiful BC do you reside. I camp out on the North Shore.

17. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

One at a time normally.

I might jot down other ideas though, should inspiration strike me.

18. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributing Member Contributor

I'm monogamous, but I get divorced and remarry a lot.

I kid. It was nearly impossible, but just yesterday I set aside my novel to work on another. Not because I'm a quitter, but because the rewrite is coming out wrong. I've decided to take some time doing something different while I sort out the story in my head. I'll go right back to it once I know where to go.

19. Okon

Okon Contributing Member Contributor

One of those towns in the Okanagan AKA 'wine country' or 'Canada's California.' The mild winters and hot summers aren't always to my liking, but I still love it here.

Fitzroy Zeph likes this.
  20. EdFromNY

When I was a child, I got into building model ships and planes in a big way. I can remember working on a model of a submarine, one in which the decks and compartments were completely exposed, a tremendous amount of detail. I couldn't have been more than 10, and I was having a terrible amount of difficulty fitting something into something (can't remember what, now). Anyway, I was getting more frustrated by the minute but I was too stubborn to give up. Finally, my mother, who knew nothing about ship models or submarines, came by and said, "Why don't you put it aside for a while? Do something else. When you come back later, you can start fresh." I did. I still couldn't get it to fit, but at least I was able to figure out why. And that advice has served me well ever since.

TDFuhringer and VM80 like this.
  21. A.L Parker

A.L Parker New Member

Jeez, here I thought having 5 different projects on the go was me being a masterful, proactive multitasker, turns out I'm an aggressive procrastinator.

Fitzroy Zeph likes this.
  22. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

I have 3. One on the front burner, one on the back burner, one in the fridge. :oops:

TDFuhringer likes this.
  23. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

I have ideas jotted down for my next projects. When I finish the first draft of my current novel, I plan to work on the next one for a month. Then, I'll go back to the original to edit.

24. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Contributing Member

I write one, plan 100 :D. While writing the one I'm on if i get inspiration for a scene I write it down. If it wont fit I store it and after a while the pile of ideas makes another story. And I at least have the backbone of 3 extra stories in note books ready.

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

I'm not the innocent little old granny you seem to think I am, kiddo!

they were nifty little tales full of graphic and 'creative' sex that all had surprise endings, for a collection titled 'Surprise!'... hafta admit that in one of the niftiest, I sorta 'took' just a bit from the 'barbarella' flick's seminal scene featuring jane fonda and a machine of sorts and raised it rather to excess, I'm rather proudly ashamed to say... [pardon the double entendres... I can never resist one when it presents itself ;)]

have I totally disillusioned you, amico mio?