1. The Codex

The Codex Member

How many words do you produce per day?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The Codex, Apr 29, 2013.

This thread is to discuss the usage amount of words you use per the following days, a simple discussion.

For me, I try and use at least a thousand word per day and for free weekends... I use definitely a lot more than that.
    I'm hoping to get to 2000 words a day, that would definitely boost the speed of each chapter.

So anyway, what's yours and how you wish to refine it?

2. Kaga

Kaga Member

For me it depends on how I'm feeling that particular day.

If I'm tired or I've done a lot of other things that day I can't write anything, and if I try to force myself I just end up with garbage that I usually have to delete again later on.
    On the other hand, if I'm in the "zone" I can write in excess of 5000 words a day, and just keep going.

I also cut myself infinite slack when it comes to writing, cause if I "must" write x number of words every day it send my imagination into hiding and I end up with food for my trash can.
    Not having to write anything if I don't feel like it relieves that pressure, and actually tend to make me more productive. It works for me, so I see no need to refine it.

3. The Codex

The Codex Member

The same works for me, if I'm having a crappy day or just dimply just tuned into the world I created... then I obviously know I'll make a ton of garbage in a part of my book. Thankfully, I have music referring to what my novel may be attach to, in order to motivate me to write more. I find writing fantasy series too hard, there are too many rich details to produce and cover.

4. Xatron

Xatron Contributing Member

There are like 100 different threads on the same topic. You can read the answers in any one of them.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

and by 'use' do you really mean 'write'?

6. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

depends on the day, some days none, as i cant get a feeling for writing, others, 200-300 some more, its low, but because i write by hand i get fewer words per min down and process my thoughts more

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Every day is different - plus I don't go by word count, I usually count pages or paragraphs even a line.
    On good days - three pages which is approx - 1200 to 1500 words.

8. The Codex

The Codex Member

*Faceplam*

Ah! the joys of posting topics on a late night.

9. g_man526

g_man526 Member

With my latest project, I've tried for at least 1000 words a day. Lately, I've tried to ramp it up to 2000 because I want to get as far as I possibly can into my story before law school, but this has proven extremely difficult. But, as someone else said, the problem with this approach is my imagination gets shot to hell. On the other other hand, I might not get into the groove if I didn't force myself to write...

10. Isaiah JS

Isaiah JS Member

I try to write a poem a day, approximately 50 words. I used to do 2-4 per day though, and I also used to write 500 words a day, typically in a journal format.

11. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 Contributing Member

A thousand. But they're all in my head. :(

12. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

At least 1000. Hold yourself to a minimum.

13. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Why? If you've still got juice, why not write more?

14. g_man526

g_man526 Member

I'm proud of myself - I managed 3000 words today. It's a really good beginning of a new chapter as well.

15. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

During my first draft I wrote over 5800 in one day (one chapter) Today, during my rewrite, I realized I might have to cut the chapter because it is all back story and gets kind of job specific.

....I guess it's good it did not multiple days to write that chapter after all

16. Samuel Paul

Samuel Paul Member

I really don't know how many words I cough up a day. If do it with a pen and paper I guesstimate two-hundred and forty a page. With Microsoft Works it's usually about four hundred words a page. Probably about fifteen hundred words a day. Some days I get distracted and I don't write at all. If I had to guess it would be about eight hundred woods a day on average.

17. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

I don't keep track of how many words I write per writing session. I write whenever the mood strikes and I write until I have nothing left to say for that time. I don't put much stock in word counts. I could mash my keyboard and get a high word count. It's how you use the words not the quantity of them.

18. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto the why! :confused:

19. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

I believe "hold yourself to a minimum" means do not let yourself do less than that.

20. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty Member

I read that too Garball.

I try to keep a minimal day at around 1200 if I'm not really feeling it, but if the days right and no ones bothering me I can pump out closer to 10,000 though I only get days like that every once in a great while. normally I'm at the 4-5000 range. course with school work and a kid my writing has to take a back seat some days.

21. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Usually I write about 1000 to 1500 words per day if the work is going well. Rarely I do 2,000 words. I don't think I've ever hit 3,000. I edit as I go, so that slows me down some even as it improves the quality.

People who can do 10,000 words per day or more kinda scare me. It's like they're eight feet tall or something.

22. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty Member

you would be surprised how much time it takes me to fix those 10,000 words when i have those kinds of days. spelling sucks grammars terrible. its more like binge drinking. sometimes its great to get that f-ed up, but the next day your wondering why you didn't pace yourself.

23. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I don't have a consistent amount I write each day. I just don't have a schedule that allows for me to make a goal of "write X pages a day" and stick to it.

On Tuesday I managed around 9 A4 pages. Wednesday I wrote very little (on my phone - was out the house 6am-9pm and haven't had a chance to write it up yet). Thursday - had no time to write. I've a deadline for my novel and other tasks have set me back, so I've had to clear my schedule for this weekend (annoying because I had perfect opportunities for networking between a film premiere and an exclusive party) just to find the time to work on it. I'm going to need to work at a pace of approx 50 pages/day over Sat-Mon to finish the first draft on time. Not impossible, but it'll be tiring.

24. TLK

TLK Active Member

It varies a lot for me.

Sometimes I can't get past the first sentence and other times I just sit down and churn out a few chapters in one go...

25. JetBlackGT

JetBlackGT Contributing Member

At completion, I averaged about 6300 words a day.

That's 120,000 words, in 19 days. Or, translated into "book-math", Harry Potter, book Four, in 19 days. I don't necessarily recommend it. It's a lot of sitting. 1k per day sounds like a good investment. About three pages or so? That's great!