1. Jesusfreak97

Jesusfreak97 Member

Novel 20 pages in a day

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Jesusfreak97, Jul 16, 2015.

So I sat down and wrote 20 pages (I think) today and it turned out horrible and I'm ok with that. I just gotta edit it a bunch. I wrote so much so fast because I want to get as much done as I can before school. I just had to get SOMETHING down on paper.

Is this a good method? Will this create more problems for me down the road?

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

Any method that feels correct and logical to you is good.

You should write something, anything every day, no matter the quality, even if it's something as simple as an e-mail or a forum post; it works the writing muscle and associates you with prose.

As for banging out a lot of pages at once, it might require more intense editing, but at least you will be able to finish projects faster. Once you become a more knowledgeable and seasoned writer, you will also be able to churn out higher quality text on your first attempt as well.

So if that way that feels best for you, then stick at it. :)

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's similar to the method I use and I think my book is turning out quite well. It won't hurt you later but don't be afraid to chuck some of it later as you begin to refine it.

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Think of the people who do NaNoWriMo. They bash out full 50000 word novels in just a month.
    If this technique works for you, go for it!

5. bunbun94

bunbun94 Member

It could be a good method, the only thing is if you write that much, you might get burn out.

6. Jesusfreak97

Jesusfreak97 Member

aw thanks guys! :) I feel better now! ^-^

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. AspiringNovelist

AspiringNovelist Senior Member

Go with what works for you. 1000 words a day is what I've heard is a decent pace/word count.

Here's some insight from the Master himself, Mr, King: Stephen King has published 49 novels, all of them bestsellers. He has sold more than 350 million copies of his works. According to Forbes, he earns approximately $40 million per year, making him one of the richest writers in the world.

Quote 1: "A couple years ago, I decided to do a test. I cut my TV time to one show per day and then read for two hours instead.
    The result?
    My creativity exploded. I went from writing 1,000 words per day to pumping out over 2,000 words per day in the same amount of time."

You wrote basically twice that amount, some 5000 words or so.

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

If it's a good method or not I guess it depends on what you're aiming for If you just want writing practise or want to get into the habit of writing every day or want to learn to shut off that inner editor while you write, then yes, I guess it is. It could be a good method if you want to complete a novel in a certain amount of time, but only if you're ready to end up with a text that needs more editing than it would if you'd put more time and thought into it.
    If you want to hone your craft and produce quality prose, Maybe not, but then this might be wrong, because some writers write their best when they don't stop to think but just write, from their heart, following their intuition. There's no one way that fits everyone. For now I'd say just write your 20 pages a day and then evaluate the result in a week or a month.

9. PrincessSofia

PrincessSofia Active Member

I do that too, and it works for me :) Well I don't write 20 pages per day, I have a a set goal of writing one chapter a day ( between 4 and 7 scenes, I outlined them before I start writing) and it forces me to seat down and write, even if I don't have inspiration, I listen to music relating to the scenes I'm trying to write, and then it all comes to me and I write, I edit almost nothing and write, my method works for me, and yours works for you, so I'd say go for it :)

10. dreamersky1212

dreamersky1212 Active Member

I sometimes wish there was a method to my madness. For me, I write when the words are there. I usually plot what I want to happen in this scene (in my head like "I want MC to meet hero for the first time in the parking lot of her job") Then I just start typing. I must say grammar and I are not on good terms most days, but if I can just get the words down. I can figure out the grammar later.

PrincessSofia likes this.