1. naim

naim New Member

how many words?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by naim, Sep 19, 2013.

so, i was wondering how many words should i try to achieve to write in my story? i have written 27,219 words but i dont know if i need more or less
    all help is thanked.

2. Roxie

Roxie Active Member

Depends what you are trying to achieve - short stories can vary anywhere from 500 words to 15,000 words. Novellas can go anywhere between 12,000 to 40,000. Novels (granted short ones) between 40,000 to 60,000 and full lenght novels over 80,000 words. In all honesty you are the only one that can truly answer this question as you are the only one who will know when your story reaches it's end. Best of luck.

Andrae Smith and naim like this.
  3. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

There are so many factors that come in to play with that question. A short story, novelette, novella, novel, screenplay...
    Middle Grade? YA? NA? Adult? Adventure? Thriller? Romance? Each type, class, genre has its own unique parameters. And that includes "general" ranges for word count. Obviously, if you've got a truly awesome manuscript and it runs outside those guidelines of word count - high or low - but it's good enough to pique the curiosity of an agent, the word count becomes irrelevant. But, especially if you've never published, it's a good idea to not assume your work is the next "GAN" (Great American Novel) and just send it off with no regard for those norms.

Now, as to your more immediate question? It is difficult to say without knowing into just what genre your story falls or to just which age group your are skewing your work.

Andrae Smith and naim like this.
  4. naim

naim New Member

it is an adventure story, and am trying to aim for the age group of about 11+ i am 14 and do love reading and have asked a couple of others and they've said that if the story goes on forever it gets really boring especially with unnecessary words included

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

As indicated by Roxie, 27,000 words falls under the category of novella, and this is too short for even young adult novels. Unfortunately, novellas are harder to sell, so publishers and agents prefer novel-length works. If you can't add anymore to what you've already written, I would suggest editing out some stuff and turning it into a short story.

6. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

I actually goal myself with the number of pages, not words. But I can tell you this. Anything around 300-400 pages is a good start to finish.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Why is that? It's easier to talk about word count because the layout of a page can differ from book to book. As a result, the number of words on a page will also differ from book to book.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

As many as it takes to tell the story. Write the story, then see what category it fits into.

9. thewordsmith

thewordsmith Contributing Member Contributor

Sounds like you are actually on the low side of target for the audience. (Though, maybe upwards of 30k would put you solidly in the target range.) Then, again, if you have nailed the story in its perfect totality at 27,000, stand on that, edit, proofread, and send it out!
    And, good luck.