1. Gladiatrix

Gladiatrix Member

How many..?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Gladiatrix, Feb 17, 2015.

I was just wondering how many stories do people work on at one time.

Is it better to focus on just one or do you flit between them.

I currently have eight on the go, which I think sounds crazy even to me. They are all in various stages. One is nearly complete while some I have barely started.

I just find that some days I wake up with one story in my head and the next day it is a different one.

What do you suggest?

2. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributing Member Contributor

Work on eight, peak on one, foam, post it away. Return to other stories, agonize over previous story posted to Granta/Tin House. Rewrite it, post elsewhere. Juggle eight stories, turning to fifty stories, that over a lifetime becomes one coherent mass. Post plob to literary agents, start again.

3. Megalith

Megalith Contributing Member Contributor

I'd say the more the merrier. Like @matwoolf said, whenever you get stuck, rigid, with a story, put it down. Pick up another that hasn't been touched in a while. Just don't stop writing! your voice will develop and your stories can avoid becoming overused themes and ideas. By stepping away from them every once in a while, to let your mind get away from the bias of it's own creation, you give your stories the complexity and originality to stick out from artist who don't take the time to do this to their work. :)

Love to Write likes this.
  4. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

Two at most for me. One novel, one short story. Anything else is logged into my column of "novel ideas" or "short story ideas" and put away. It's easy for my mind to wander. I have to force myself to stay disciplined.

Ivana likes this.
  5. Renee J

Renee J Contributing Member

I'm still working on my first book, so right now I'm only working on one. I do have ideas for other books written down and I think about them when I'm out and about. I'm not sure if that counts as working on a book, though.

6. Mckk

Mckk Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Write whatever you have inspiration for - the best writing happens when you're in the mood anyway :) As long as it works for you, which it sounds like it is, then keep doing exactly what you've been doing and let no one tell you otherwise. What works for me may not work for you. The key is finishing - if you are able to finish your projects and you are happy with the pace you're going at, then awesome. Don't worry about it. There's more than one way to write, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise.

For myself, I work on one project at a time as I prefer to focus and get really obsessed with it lol :) I believe a lot of people like to alternate between 2-3 projects so when they get bored or stuck on one, they can go work on another and always keep writing, so they never hit a block.

7. AlphaWerewolf10

AlphaWerewolf10 Member

I've got two in the works right now. One that is undergoing massive draft 2 changes, and a new project I recently started up. I used to be like you, Gladiatrix, where I had six or so works going. I found, though, that for me that ended up being too many at a time. One would get way more attention than the others, and some I hardly ever got any ideas for. So I dropped them and focused on one, and now two.

As for your working on 8 at a time. I say there is nothing inherently wrong with that as long as you can keep everything straight between them.
    Good luck with it.

8. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

Do you have trouble completing your projects? If you do, you might want to cut down on the number. If you don't, great! Keep going!

9. Crawl

Crawl Member

I can start working on the story, left it in the middle by switching to another one and then complete it in 1-2 years. My max is 4 stories "in progress". The question is all about my insparation.

10. Gladiatrix

Gladiatrix Member

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't completed any yet, but is very very close. I'll stick with what I'm doing for now and if I think its getting too much I'll cut it down.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Right now I have two novels on the go, plus two novellas and about three or four short stories. There's another couple of novellas, too, but they're so far off the back burner that I should probably classify them as "abandoned," even though I'd like to complete them some day.

That's my serious work. I also have a piece of erotica I work on every now and then to warm up with. It's just a big shapeless mass with no beginning or ending - it's pretty much just typing practice.

12. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributing Member Contributor

I personally have two started - one as my dominant project and one that kind of sits around as a side-project for when the main one burns out and I have to re-focus. Personally I'd advise against having too many going at once because ultimately the goal is to finish at least one.

13. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

I read this thread with interest. I currently have one main work that is reaching maturity (not done yet!) but I've gotten tired of it and I find it hard to get/stay inspired by it. On the other hand I have ideas for several other projects, two in particular, that I'm anxious to develop. I've been holding off on the new ideas for fear of distracting myself from the getting-close-to-being-done piece. Yet as a result I haven't done much writing on anything in a while. That's not good!

After reading some of the comments here I think I'll let myself go and start working in earnest on one (or both) of my new ideas just to get me back in the swing. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up my first project a little later, give it a fresh look, and finish it off.

14. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

It sounds as if you're working on all of the stories equally, so that's great. No problem switching from one to another, as long as they all get worked on, and eventually get finished. Sounds like fun, actually.

The problem would come if you lose interest in an unfinished story, then start another one, lose interest in that, start another one, etc etc etc ...and none of them ever get finished. THAT is a problem. But switching between stories seems to be working for you. The fact that you're waking up every morning wanting to work on one of them is very good indeed. Sounds like enthusiasm AND focus, really. And when you get done, you'll have a whole bunch of stories to send out for publication. That is also good!

15. Kingtype

Kingtype Always writing or thinking things XD Staff Role Play Moderator Contributor

One or two

No more and no less. I can't really do anymore then that cause I'd end up neglecting some, I do keep a project/idea journal so I can write down what I'd to do next if it hasn't come to mind.