1. online.education

online.education New Member

How much do you read everyday on average?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by online.education, Jul 21, 2007.

I'm guessing that many of you read books almost everyday. How much do you read everyday on average? 30 pages a day? 50 pages? 100+ pages ... or a lot more ...?

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I haven't been reading all that much lately, to be honest. I have been known to read a lot, very quickly, though (for example, Harry Potter 6 in a day and a half, and the first lord of the rings in three days). But since I finished Homage to Catalonia, I've been focusing more on writing. I suppose I'll read Deathly Hallows next. Although, Brother Odd does keep beckoning me to buy it...

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I don't read all that often to be honest, but when I find a good book I don't stop reading it until it is finished. Usually finish it in 1 - 2 days at the most.

4. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

From about the age of 8 until I was about 14, it was rare to ever see me not reading but then one day I just woke up and I found myself a life ... lol

Nowadays I don't seem to read books very often because I don't have the time but when I do read, I don't put the book down until i'm finished... or until I need sleep/food/drinks lol

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

nah, i don't really. at the moment i am reading, or attempting to read Margett Thatchers Autobiography, but i really cannot be bothered. my grandad had just bought me lykee 13 books, including ten classics which i might read and my mam is buying me the new Harry Potter book tonight, which i should have finished in a day, lol. it just depends on what i am reading really.

6. Kit

My history teacher has recommended that we read Margaret Thatcher's Autobiography over the summer because we study her time in power next year and she said it would be a good way to start, but I just can't get into it :(

7. Heather Louise

i have read the first twenty pages and it is really interesting. i just dont have enough time to read at the moment, lifes pretty hectic. i am reading it for the crack of it really, just wanted to hear what she had to say about things. lol

8. Kit

I think i'm just burnt out from all the politics i've been studying in History... need a break and then i'll try it :p

9. dushechka

dushechka New Member

If the book is enthralling or whatnot I'll be done it in a week or less.
    If it's "heavy" or there's a boring spurt, it'll take much longer.
    Actually, I don't even think I read that much to begin with. At least not as much as I used too..

10. Kit

Not many people do seem to read as much as they used to really...

11. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

I read one book every 6 weeks. Depending on the fact i pick the right book some are so crud i just never finish them.

12. Kit

I don't think there's actually a fictional book that i've started and not finished... same goes with films, i've never just turned one off without watching the ending.

It bugs me if I start something and don't know how it finishes.

13. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

Ah well I have a remedy for that. If the book is crud will read the final chapter and if the film is crud I will fast foward to the end. :p

14. Kit

Lol i'm too strict with myself for that... but to be honest i've not come across any books or films that I really hate. Most are tolerable :p

15. Night Haunter

Night Haunter Banned

I do on occasion. At the moment I've started to read the Dune series. The books are thick but still have my interest. :)

16. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I'm pretty irregular with my reading habits. I don't read everyday, and sometimes I'll go a month or two without reading a book. But when I get really into something, I will spend hours reading nonstop. Books like Fight Club and Lamb I will read in one sitting.

17. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I read a chapter or two of fiction most days, but that's usually about it, I spend a lot more time with nonfiction, mostly technical material

Although today I've read 15 chapters of the new Harry Potter book, and I'm not done for the day.

Especially lately, I read not only for the story, but to apptrciate the writing itself. Any book I like, I read more than once, and the subsequent reads are more leisurely.

18. Novel Novice

Novel Novice New Member

I read every day (granted, it is summer time and I'm not taking summer school this year). Last summer vacation I read about 10 books or so, and a couple more throughout the year.

I splurged a bit yesterday and read the better part of 400 pages or so of HP6 to get ready for today, but on the average I usually read about 100 pages a day max. (I love it, what can I say? :))

19. beatgen_nerd

beatgen_nerd New Member

I haven't had much time to do any reading that's simply for pleasure, lately. I am taking two courses this summer session, both in literature, though. The Survey of Literary Criticism is a really fun course and I've gotten some good reading going on in that one, but noting just for the heck of it.

When I do find a book that really tickles my fancy, though, I can find myself reading 100+ in a day. It all depends on what's going on and how captivating the book is.

20. LionofPerth

LionofPerth New Member

I guess it depends, some of the time I would read up to three thousand pages in a single day, mainly because I need to catch up on some serious reading, I can ready a thick WW2 history in about five hours odd, at about eight hundred pages.

Other times I can barely read a single chapter, regardless of it being non fiction, or fiction.

I think it depends on what I am trying to do, I have so little time, and plenty to do.

21. Heather Louise

well, in relation to how fast i read, my mam bought me the new Harry Potter book last night, i started reading it at like 11 'o' clock for an hour or two, then an hour this morning, and i have read nearly 100 pages. but i always read Harry Potter fast, they are amazing. :)

22. Banzai

The other thing with Harry Potter is that if you don't read it quickly, some idiot gives the ending away :p

23. Heather Louise

yeaa, me mates got the book before me and i wasn't meant to be getting it till monday, and they kept threatening to tell me what happened. well ive got it now and am gunna finish it soon :):p

24. Banzai

I kept making up stupid theories about how it would end. Some examples are:

Harry fights Voldemort, who dies of a congenital heart defect

Voldemort turns out to be the good guy

Harry wakes up, and finds it was all a dream, and he's still in the hospital wing at the end of the first book

Harry wakes up, and finds it was all a dream, and that he's a 36 year old office worker called Pete, who gets hit by a bus on his way home and dies

Hehe, it's fun :D

25. Heather Louise

how about:

harry finds out that it doesn't matter who winds or loses as the world is gunna be took over by aliens anyways.

harry and voldemort decided to "just be friends"

ron turns around and kills both harry and voldemort.

yea, this is fun :)