Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Writing Skills

Writing Skills Banned

How Much Grammar is Too Much Grammar?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Writing Skills, Jun 11, 2015.

Does high school English prepare students for college? I don't think that it does. When I got to college, where I studied journalism, I had a grammar book with 1780 pages. I read important sections of that book and it changed not only my writing style, but also my command of the English language.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I'm not clear on your point here. You ask if high school prepares students, then you talk about college. Do you have any grounds for your assertion about high school?

3. Writing Skills

Writing Skills Banned

How often do you hear people making simple grammar errors, errors such as using the objective case of a pronoun in the subject of a sentence. Just as common, you hear people using the subjective case as the object of a verb. Did high school leave people unprepared for a career?

4. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

No, elementary school leaves people unprepared for a career. Seriously.

Let's say you have a class of 20-25 students. 3-4 students will be pretty bright. Most students will be average, and some will need more help than the average ones. And you will always have at least one or two or more troublemakers. A lot of the teacher's attention will be spent reprimanding the known troublemakers. Then, you have the good kids who are having bad days, the girls who are talking and passing notes, the kid who gets into a fight....
    Anyway, combine this with the confusion that is common core and you get this: The brighter students can really get it and pay attention. The average kids sort of just plod along, but might do better if they have a brighter kid helping them, an older sibling, etc. And the below-average kids? Again, they can be helped, but they're not really getting anything out of the class proper.

Naturally, at least half of these kids will be unprepared for middle school. How do you think they'll be for high school? College?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.