How much help have you really gotten from other writers?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by aberdeen, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

@aberdeen, it looks to me like you're trying to build up a network of other writers, preferably famous/successful ones, but from my vantage point it looks like you're going about it the wrong way. It might be a good idea to look up information about how to network, how to build that kind of supporting safety net of sorts.

Chances are, you won't get a famous mentor except maybe after you've become famous/successful yourself. If you truly are as talented as you seem to think, let your stellar work speak for itself: start a blog or figure out some other way to get your excellent writing out there. If it's truly that exceptional, it will get noticed sooner or later, and people will flock to you.

But writing to famous authors, hoping to get "discovered" that way, just doesn't seem realistic. Sure, it could be the plot for a Hollywoodian tale of the American Dream, a from rags-to-riches -story, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting something like that to happen in real life.

2. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

The people here who have responded rather negatively to my concerns are fiction writers. I write essays on rather serious topics so, looking back, I probably shouldn't even have bothered to start this thread. Writing novels is, and really should be, a rather solitary process, or at that's what I've been told. Essay writing is different, where real time input from others can be more useful and appreciated. My point remains, however. It would be helpful for well known writers to be on the lookout for exceptional ability. Why have some bright young talent struggle for years and then receive all the attention only after they become famous?

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Helpful to who? The young writer? Sure. The famous writer who has abandoned his own career to comb carefully through thousands of fan mails? Not so much.

4. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

I appreciate your honesty and, yes, I may have to change my approach. Even if the odds are some well known author recognizing my talent are rather low I felt it was worth it.

Despite possible appearances, I am no starry eyed young dreamer who thinks everything in writing (or life in general) will be handed to me. I am in my fifties now, have a lot of unusual experiences to offer, and must say that everyone who has seen my writing has been quite impressed. I have written over a hundred and ten essays so far, of between a thousand and five thousand words, and plan on self publishing them in the next few months. To a casual outside observer, the chances of my success may seem rather low. I must assume, however, that I really have what it takes until proved otherwise. It sure would be good to have someone recognize my ability right now and help me along, instead of having to work in obscurity until perhaps one day I receive the attention that, at least in my (deluded?) mind, I feel I may deserve.

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Know what would be really helpful? If the well-known writers put their lovely fingers on the keyboard/paper and craft out another story for the world to read.

And 'rather negatively'? We're telling you the reality of writing. Want negativity? Fine, let me quote, word for word, what I once got in a PM from another member when I said I wanted to be a writer. This happened many years ago, though, but I still remember it.

"You'll never make it. You'll never publish a single book, and if you do, it won't even be in the footnote of literature history. It'll be quickly forgotten, like it never happened in the first place."

That's what that person said to me, in my PM.

Look, you may have what it takes, but all new writers are treated equally, regardless of age.

jazzabel, jannert, Okon and 2 others like this.
  6. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

I never said that a famous writer should abandon their career to read thousands of fan mails. However, I really do believe there should be some type of process to identify extraordinary talent. His (or her) secretary could read the mail and then bring to the author's attention the really promsing ones, especially those who write letters and emails of a few thousand words. Sure, many of the people who would do such a thing are psychologically disturbed, but some are quite legitimate. What happens to the one in a thousand who deserves attention? Have you ever found yourself in that situation? Do you believe you have exceptional talent? I sure think I do and deserve special attention because of it. What happens to the people in life who have extraordinary potential? Should they be shuffled aside, told to give up their hopes and dreams, and be sadly, or even cruelly, ignored by leading figures in writing and other walks of life?

7. Ulramar

Ulramar Contributor Contributor

The one in a thousand who deserves attention builds their way up for that attention. It's easy to be given a following. It's much better to create your own, and that's much more honorable than leaching off of someone else's credibility.

No one is being shuffled aside, but in the writing world you build yourself up. No one else can do that for you and your work has to prove that.

8. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

I know you think us plebeian non-1 out of 100 writers won't understand your "unique" situation, but you are not entitled to anything from other famous writers who should have immediately recognized your genius. Contact agents and take a big dose of reality; talent alone has never been a sufficient condition for fame.

JetBlackGT, T.Trian and jazzabel like this.
  9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Let's assume for a second that a famous writer notices your work. What then? Sure, you got the attention you wanted, but that alone isn't going to help you get published. So I'm not really sure what your goal is here.

Also, I don't know of any writers who have secretaries, so you seem to be misinformed on the matter.

10. Ulramar

He may be contacting university professors.

11. aberdeen

aberdeen Member

I do appreciate your brutal honesty, but let's get real. This is the year 2014 - the modern world that is. Shouldn't there be some process where extraordinary talent is spotted and developed? Maybe something similar to a young genius coming to the attention of a Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, or Hawkins. Wouldn't that be so helpful, not just to the youngster and to society, but also to the famous people themselves. It must be lonely at the top. Wouldn't it be a good feeling to know that you are giving back to the world by helping the next generation? My own situation is differerent, and I must say that in many cases it's best for someone to have real world experience under their belt before being recognized by famous people. However, woudn't it be a good idea for people not to be forced to go it alone and then only be spotted by the famous until the individual becomes famous themselves? Isn't there an easier (or at least better) way?

12. Link the Writer

OK, look, I-

Suddenly, Grandmaster Yoda entered this thread. With a curiously light-hearted expression on his nine-hundred year old face, he chuckled as he scanned the people within to find the one he wished to address. Slowly, on his knotted brown cane, he walked past me, then stopped.

"Too rash is this one," Grandmaster Yoda said with a gentle smile. "Too sure of themselves, this generation is. Bold, reckless. Heh. Need that, you do not! A Jedi must feel his way through the Force, not be gifted with it. That was the fall of young Skywalker. Follow down his path, you must not do." He emphasized his last points by striking his cane on the floor. "'Cruelly ignore our apprentices', we do not. Only by their work, grant them a rank, do we!" Yoda's expression turned hard, his eyes appeared to bulge out of their sockets. "Let go of your pride, you must; humble yourself. Be not like young Skywalker."

With a turn, he slowly walked away.

...Well, that was odd. What he meant was that we all have to start at apprentice levels, and only through our own hard works can we be gifted with whatever respect we think we deserve. Writers, like Jedi masters, can show you the way, but you must humble yourself and follow your own path.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    T.Trian, Ben414, Burlbird and 3 others like this.
  13. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I don't know of any professors who have secretaries, either. Well, some do, but it's mostly department chairs and the like. And those guys are way too busy to respond to requests like the one aberdeen is making.

14. Ulramar

He's just got to network and put himself out there. Start a blog. Post your essays there. It'll slowly develop a following if you advertise the blog right. Then, when you have your "breakthrough work", approach a publisher.

No writer will help you. They won't share resources, because you're competition. The only one that will benefit from you being published would be the publisher and yourself.

15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This actually sounds like a fair enough point, so... go do that. You know such a system is not in place because you are receiving the end outcome of its absence, so fill the need. You can't kvetch the missing paradigm into existence. You have to take action.

16. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

That is inexcusable. I hope this member is no longer with us. Oh, wait ...they're off being successful published authors themselves, making huge pots of money? Doubt it. That sounds like troll with a capital T.

T.Trian and Link the Writer like this.
  17. Link the Writer

Yeah. Probably was a troll.

Looking back now, I think it's kinda pathetic. I mean, they've got the exact same chance as I do of making it big, and instead of writing a story, they decide to be a troll. :p :D

jannert likes this.
  18. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What kind of "special attention" do you have in mind? Express-laning past the query process? Speed-dialing a senior editor at Random House? A Get-Out-Of-Slush-Pile-Free card? And you want this based on an e-mail or cocktail party chit-chat?

If you have such extraordinary potential, write...edit...polish...query...submit...rinse...repeat. Plan B - self-pub and show just how exceptional you are. Ain't no short cuts in this business, I'm afraid.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to editing my very exceptional ms.

T.Trian, jannert, minstrel and 3 others like this.
  19. Link the Writer

And I simply must polish up my no-doubt masterpiece of historical mystery thriller! It will make even John Grisham blush! >: D

20. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

If you do, I'll autograph it for you. :whistle:

21. Ulramar

I feel bad because my manuscript is only kinda exceptional D:

22. Link the Writer

Let me take a looksie at my manuscript.

It is...mediocre at best! ):

23. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@aberdeen what you might try, if you so eagerly need a tap on the back from an established author, is to seek one out, and ask him or her out for a drink. Or two. Talk about films, sports, music, whatever. Maybe even bed him or her. Repeat a few times. Then, after you've established trust, friendship, whatever - ask them for an opinion on your writing. Play dumb: "Hey, I've just now realized you've written that award wining essay on subject X! What a coincidence - I'm a pretty good writer myself, care to read a few pages, maybe share some insights? No pressure..."

That, in my opinion, just might work!

Ulramar likes this.
  24. Link the Writer

Regarding university professors:

Um, no, they're much too busy grading their students' papers and preparing their next lectures. If I were a university professor and you emailed me, I probably wouldn't respond. Why? Because (a) I wouldn't know you all that well, and (b) outside my family, the only people I would want to devote my time to are fellow professors or students who need my help on their papers. They are my #1 priority.

As said before, the ones who do have secretaries are chairs of departments, but they've got their own stuff to do.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  25. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

@aberdeen, if you really have written over a hundred complete essays, ready for publication, why don't you send them to magazines? There's a ton of magazines out there that publish essays. I don't know what your essays are about, but I can almost guarantee there's a magazine somewhere specializing in that field. If you can get a few of your essays accepted and published in magazines, your profile will rise. You'll become known. You'll be in a much better position to approach an agent with a whole book of essays.

This is the way most successful essayists have done it.

Or, as others have suggested, start a blog (and promote it, so people know it's there!). Put essays on your blog and see if you get positive feedback. See if you get a lot of regular readers. That, too, can lead to book publication if you play your cards right.

Have you critiqued at least two works of other members here in our Workshop? If yes, then you've fulfilled the requirements for posting your own work here. Take one of your essays (preferably a shorter one - most members are more willing to critique a 1,000 word piece than one that's 5,000 words) and let us critique it. We'll see what you mean by exceptional talent, and it will also help us grow as writers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.