1. 803andy

803andy New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    How much of a book should be completed for a proposal/mock?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by 803andy, Jan 30, 2011.

I will be presenting a coffee-table type book to publishers and agents this year. The book will have about 200 images/persons and an accompanying description of 2-4 paragraphs.

My mock will have a completed introduction (3-4 pages) and all 200 images. How many of the images should have descriptions to fully convey the pattern and writing of the book? The descriptions writing/research is a very laborious process, I want to hear from a publisher before investing the time needed for 200 individuals; however, I don't want to include an insufficient number of descriptions. What would be a good number of write-up/descriptions to include?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

Nov 21, 2006
    you don't submit a 'mock'[-up] of the whole book... only the full text ms and a list of illustrations, with possibly a sample page or two, if the publisher requests it... the publisher will decide how the book is to be arranged, not you...

you must first query with a full proposal... that's a complex affair made up of many parts... some agents and publishers will include their proposal preferences for one in the submission guidelines, but for the ones that don't, i can send you some tips from the pros on how to write/compile an effective one...

the main thing to not overlook is getting written permission to use every one of the images, if they're not all your own...

from what you're saying here, i have to assume that you don't yet know enough about the process of getting a coffee table book published and need to learn a lot more before you jump in and start approaching agents/publishers... i've mentored writers with such book projects and in my old life wrote such kinds of text for paying clients, so if you want help with any of this, don't hesitate to drop me a line any time...

love and hugs, maia