1. slippingfrenchgirl

slippingfrenchgirl New Member

Literally Never Ending

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by slippingfrenchgirl, Apr 24, 2008.

:confused:basically my problem is that I never seem to be able to write finish a story. It so annoys me because my family really want me to. The problem is that I either get bored with the story or want to write another one (what a surprise I get the same problem with that). Can anyone suggest anything, give advice or just literally help me ??
    Awaiting with unlimited patience
    JoJo

2. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I ahve the same problem. I find that when I can't finish something, its always good to take a break from it, because I'm likely to go back to the idea sooner or later.

Another suggestion I have is just write it eve if you don't want to. Willpower!

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Slippingfrenchgirl
    A couple of questions:

How long is the project?

Do you know the ending before you begin writing?

Do you know some of the main events leading up to it?

Do you get bogged down with the details and research or editing?

Do you feel pressure to have it perfect when you're finished?

What is your goal upon completion? Is this a deterrent, even subliminally? Such as worrying that even if it's the best you can do and you submit it, and it gets rejected...how you'll feel, or how others you know will respond?

Knowing the answer to some of these questions may help you determine the problem, or enable others to advise you based on their experience. There may be a multitude of other/additional reasons--even in combination.

Terry

4. slippingfrenchgirl

grateful

thnks a bunch, I now realise that my goal to complete a story is to finish with a shorted book, the longest story I've ever written is something around 200 pages, and it's no where near the end. SO that's what I'll try doing. And yes, I do have some plots in my head when I write the books, but I never feel it to be as good as something I dreamed, so I start with that plot and then another, etc. Thnks a bunch , I appreciate it.

5. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi New Member

Train yourself to finish a story in one sitting.

6. Nobeler Than Lettuce

Nobeler Than Lettuce New Member

If your problem is the fact that you cannot imagine a complete story, then adapt yourself to imagine a part within a complete whole. This is like a philosophy, you need to expand upon central themes until you can't anymore.

It's not magic to write. It's magic to make others really see what you have written.

7. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

This is why I stick with nonfiction...

8. Shortcut

Shortcut New Member

Well, I can't really relate because I have the exact opposite problem. I always think of a story skeleton and come up with hundreds of ideas that I love, but then I have trouble finding where to start :rolleyes:. What I would recommend, however, is to try coming up with an ending you really like before you write your story. That way, it becomes something to work towards, and when you get there, it just flows out. Good luck

9. schrei

schrei New Member

Have you tried having side projects? I write one series mostly but I find that my mind often wanders to other ideas that have nothing to do with it. So I write them when I need a break from my our story and usually they both will work together easily.

If you know what I mean. Don't force yourself to finish, you'll not be happy with the result.

10. silverfrost

silverfrost New Member

I would have to agree here. If I think of a great ending to a story, I am really excited to write it, expand on it, etc. The goal of actually reaching to point makes it easier to get somewhere with a story.

11. VictorP

VictorP New Member

i seriously had the same problem when i started writing a couple years ago. i started like 15 different stories ( i had a lot of free time) but i couldnt finish one. my problem is from just free flowing my writing. i just let the keyboard take me wherever it wanted and it always sounded great except there was no end in sight.
    after a year of no writing whatsoever ive began again with a different approach to it. i started with short stories with the same characters with a tie in knowing where i wanted to end didnt help me much but it never hurts to write the ending and let ur fingers twist ur way to it. it hasnt failed me yet!

12. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

Don't worry, hun. I have the exact same problem. The only way I finish the story is that I let others read it. Then they'll go up to you every day and say, 'Are you finished yet? Are you finished yet? Are you finished yet?'

The only way that I found to finish the story is to get pestered by people I care about.

13. slippingfrenchgirl

to everyone

thanks a bunch for your replies, i truly appreciate it. I will use all the advice i get given, starting with writing the ending first, it sounds very simple and might be affective...
    thanks again
    ciao

14. Yoshieslunchbox

Yoshieslunchbox New Member

I'm yet another person with the same problem. What helped me was an idea one of my really close friends came up with. Every week, rain or shine, we are to send each other two pages of completed work for the other to proof. Maybe something like that can work with you. And remember, the only way to get to a final draft is to write some truly god awful ones first! :)

15. Honorius

Honorius Active Member

this sort of thing often happens with tv shows (never end or end up canceled) so i suggest that your characters have a single simple goal that can actually end [i.e. defeat the evil king] instead of something like hardy boy which can continue for infinity [the solve the mystery but there are always more mysteries])

16. Nodin

Nodin New Member

I set a maximum word count, and when the novel reaches the maximum number of words, I write "To Be Continued" and begin the sequel. :D

The first novel I wrote was too short, so I added additional characters to widen the plot and increase word count. I was actually pleased with the result.