1. J_F

J_F Member

How much time do you dedicate to writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by J_F, Jun 28, 2009.

I usually aim for 10-20 hours per week, and usually I end up doing so, but it depends on what mood I'm in during the days. I may write a whole short story one day and spend hours on it, or I may be in a rusty mood and give up after five minutes of garbling out a few sentences of stilted crap.

2. starseed

starseed Contributing Member

Full time writer. I'd say over 60 hours a week.

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

Not as much as I should...

4. ChaseRoberts

ChaseRoberts Senior Member

More than I should...:(

It is actually exactly proportional to the amount of things I should be doing. This past week I've had nothing of note on, and I must have written a grand total of about ten words, then deleted them because they were rubbish.

I did however make up for this by creating detailed biographies for all my characters, working on time lines (I tend to balls this up) and thinking about writing. Yes, I've done a lot of thinking about writing this week.

Other weeks I'll rack up an extrodinary amount. I'll tell myself 'just an hour, you have to go to bed, you're up at seven', and lo! behold! an 'hour' later turns into two, three in the morning.

I've always been like that. When I first started writing, I used to sit up all night on my computer, then at seven in the morning, I'd change into my jammies, hide under my duvet and wait for my mum to come in and wake me for school.

5. Blaidd Drwg

Blaidd Drwg Member

This.

Maybe five hours a week? Something pitiful like that. This is mostly due to the fact that I can't write at home, I get too distracted.

6. Elistara

Elistara Member

If I could answer, I would say 30+, since I tend to devote 5-10 hours every day to my book - either writing or thinking about it. But I never set myself goals, or limits. I write when I can, and if nothing comes, I end up surfing this forum or brainstorming about some other part of my book - or even re-reading it through to make sure it all flows, and says what I wanted it to say the first time around.
    Of course, that 5-10 hours each day is interrupted LOTS by three young girls, so it isn't always productive; I take what I can get, when I can get it.

7. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

It depends. The past two months I've been revising/sitting exams and planning, instead of actually writing. But I'll go back into writing from Wednesday morning, when summer begins.

On a normal week I'd estimate 5-10 when going slow, and 10-20 when enthused. Will be exceeding that throughout the holidays.

8. fantasy girl

fantasy girl Contributing Member

Not very much, I have to share the computer with 6 other people so I only get about 1 hour 30 mins a day.

9. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributing Member Contributor

Where's the 'not as much as I should' option?

5-10 hours a week, I reckon. I can occasionally do that in a day, but I need to be in the mood and writing well beforehand.

10. DownUnder

DownUnder Contributing Member

I never really dedicate time as such, more when I'm in the mood for it I guess. I think I should start to perhaps get in a habit, ie start with 1 hour a day and work from there.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there are other threads on this same subject that you can find with the site search engine, i believe... or at least by scrolling through the previous pages...

since i help writers all day, every day, plus do writing of my own, and i don't watch the clock, all i can do is tell you how many hours a day i'm online, dealing with posts and material that's sent to me by email, and have my computer turned on... which is from 6-ish am to 7-8-ish pm every single day of the year...

so, you do the math and that's how much time i spend dedicated to writing...

12. Unit7

Unit7 Contributing Member Contributor

To put it simply, not enough time. I once tried to force myself to write atleast 1 hour a day. No matter if I felt up to it or not, I had to write. For awhile it went great. I may not have gotten far and I may not have liked what I got. But I wrote.

I quickly fell out of this and seem to only write when I feel inspired.

13. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Somewhere between twelve and eighteen hours a day, depending on what deadlines are looming.

14. starseed

starseed Contributing Member

^Finally someone like me! :)

15. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

^Except a good bit of mine is writing for hire. I did the bit of having everything I own fitting into a backpack and a duffel bag for seven years, courtesy of the foster care system. I like having my own place and my own things. I write scads of things for money I wouldn't write for free.