1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Contributing Member

How much time should i give to the love story in this case?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Ryan Elder, Aug 15, 2015.

I have John Truby's book on screenwriting The Anatomy of Story, and in this video of his at 6:50:

He talks about how there has to be enough time give to the love subplot in order for the main character to really be felt with by the audience. At the same time though, when you want to keep your script at a good length and not go overlong, you don't want to spend too much time on it either, especially if it's just a subplot and not the main premise, if that makes sense.

He says in the video, you cannot montage love but there have been movies that have done it. The best example I can think of is The Godfather. Michael and Appolonia go on one date, and then the next scene you see them in they are married. This was enough for audiences to be satisfied before Appolonia's death, so I am wondering if it's okay to break a rule, what should I keep in mind?

2. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

I may be way off base, but...

I think it's not so much the amount of time given to the love story, it's the structure of the scenes wherein the love story lives. At the end of any scene where you're concentrating on the love angle, leave the reader anticipating what might come next in the love story. That way, you'll keep the reader on 'tender hooks' until the next love story scene.

I followed this pattern in my current novel and I think it works. Perhaps the love story isn't as 'up front' as some might like, but I guess I'll find that out when it gets into the hands of a publisher.

EdFromNY likes this.
  3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The phrase is actually "on tenterhook" or "on tenterhooks".

tonguetied likes this.
  4. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributing Member Contributor

EdFromNY I see you are a man of the cloth. :) I had no idea of what tenterhooks were until I looked it up, such a common phrase and no idea that I had misunderstood it for so long. I stretched this out long enough.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Bless you, my son.

:unsure:

tonguetied and Sack-a-Doo! like this.
  6. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

Ah! Thanks. I'd never seen it written down before. It's a phrase I learned at my mother's knee, as it were, and she were a hillbilly like me. :)

tonguetied likes this.