Tags:
  1. Soulmagika

Soulmagika New Member

I've thought on an idea. What do you think up to now?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Soulmagika, Apr 3, 2009.

Hi there, I'm quite new here and also quite new to this, Though i do love writing and this is hopefully going to be a full story.

Keep in mind, i only thought of this less than a day ago, all ideas here are very, very vague.

So anywho, I've thought of this quite exciting idea for a story I'm writing/planning to write and right now I'm just figuring out characters, the plot, etc. I've been jotting down a few ideas.

To give you a very, very vague idea. Its a fantasy about dreams, they have some connection to the real world, i don't know what kind yet. There will be one unique type of creature (along with other creatures) in the dream world, 'protectors' if you will, which i've currently named "Dream Screamers"

So anywho, I'm forming a main character, like many stories he will be the main focus. His name is undecided but i've narrowed it down to Faust or Chantry(Both names have relevance to dreams/the soul. Let me know if you like them, help me choose, even other ideas) I want meaning in my characters names. Hes bold, witty with a dark sense of humour. No more than 15 years old, very mature for his age. An introvert but confident approaching others. An important factor - He has light, white shortish hair(Why white? because it represents that he is the 'light' in a bad dream, ones nightmare.

Any ideas? I'm going to think a bit more. Any plot ideas maybe? Any tips on how to branch out my ideas?

2. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

It's far too vague to give any sort of opinion on, and in any case ideas are worthless as they stand. It's the way you tell the story. Get it written, post some of it up for review and see what happens. ;)

3. Soulmagika

Soulmagika New Member

Hmm well like i said i'm still quite new to this, ill do some research.

Though.. everytime i think of an idea it seems like its already been thought of one way or another. Any way to prevent that?

4. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

I wouldn't worry about that, really, mostly because there's no way to get around it. Every idea has been done before in one way or another. The way you tell deliver the story will make the project stand out as unique.

What I would suggest is sinking your teeth into the project if it's really something you want to do. Develop your characters and spend time deciding what you want out of your story. Don't worry too much about what people will think of your idea or whether or not it's unique.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

6. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i have to agree with Cogs, asking people thoughts on how to write your own story sort of takes away from writing it yourself. Ideas are a cherished commodity. If you have one, and you seem to do, then expand it, write it down. after finished, as was also mentioned, then you can get feedback

good luck