How Old Are You and What Would Be Your Ideal Job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Jan 3, 2012.

1. akexodia

akexodia Member

I'm 20 and working out my way to grab a bachelors degree in engineering (i know, sounds a tad boring, duh!).
    Would love to be a paleontologist (i love dinosaurs :p ) or a psychoanalyst or a poet/writer!

2. Granville

Granville New Member

I am only 15--oops, sorry, wishful thinking--51, and when I grow-up, I'd like to be a wizard! In the meantime I'm an Operations Manager in the gaming industry.

3. Boomfog

Boomfog New Member

That made me snort, which in turned burned my nostrils with the spicy noodle soup I'm eating.

4. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

It better be Pho.

Pho hurts so good.

5. Granville

Granville New Member

A thousand appologies, sir. I can only wish your nostrils a speedy recovery, and pray that your next 'snort' has a happier ending. :)

6. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

I'm 16 and whatever job I can manage to get. I'm a bit of a slacker

7. cari_za

cari_za New Member

When I was 19 I realised I wasn't doing what I loved, so I moved out, moved away, and got a job in what I was (and still am) passionate in.

I'm now 24. Time flew! Kind of still feel like that 19 year old sometimes, just more confident, less innocent, and way more self aware. I'm grateful for the leap of... something... I made back then that led me here.

Anyway, I'm a website developer. I dabble in design as well, and I'm not bad (I hope!), but development is my real passion. My only thing that I would love to change is to have more time to write as well. And to work for myself and live comfortably. Waking up early each morning for work gets old real quick! As rewarding as it is, that first cup off coffee tastes much better for brunch, stretched out on a couch, than in the wee hours of the morning while rushing for work. But yeah I wish I could write by day, and develop by night. Sort of like a major super geek! :p

8. GoldenGhost

GoldenGhost Senior Member

Interesting, very interesting... I am still waiting for someone to talk about how they want to be a fireman or a race car driver. When I was growing up, I wanted to be a fighter pilot and pew pew pew things into utter oblivion.
    Back to the question at hand:
    I am 22 and I would be absolutely content as the captain of a spaceship, writing short stories in my spare time and exploring the universe in search of the alien intelligence who implanted a race of Lizards within our system of government. (Much better than a fireman or a race car driver, but yet depressingly, not that much farther from wanting to be a fighter pilot. I guess I really have not grown up all that much)
    But I think I will settle for my current goal of becoming a back country snowboard/ski guide. Experience tells me that watching the sun come up at the top of a mountain is much more colorful and inspiring then bleak darkness, extensive and infinite space accompanied with the occasional sphere of color every so often and the burning of a star. Space is cool, for sure, but if I wanted to spend my life in space, I'd stay in my head.

9. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Member

I'm 29 and 3 weeks old and, until GoldenGhost gave up on his spaceship, I would have been content to ride shotgun as first mate and general kick ass space-ninja, high-kicking evil doers into new galaxies. I really feel that space travel would have brought out a more acrobatic side of me.

Oh well. Will have to settle for travel writing as an ideal job then. Sent through my first samples last week to a company who showed an interest in my work- so here's hoping that I'll get the gig and start having to dream up a new 'ideal' job. Fingers crossed, folks.

10. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

I got to live that dream job and loved it. I began as a rural firefighter on a ladder company, then went on to industrial firefighting. I did enjoy fighting house fires more though, and being a medic was also very rewarding.

11. yagr

yagr Senior Member

I'm 46 yo and I'd like to write as a full time job. Additionally, I'm looking to start a non-profit here on the rez and get a bookmobile and make daily runs. We have less than one book per child here on the reservation. At ten years old, children here are more likely to pick up a beer than a book; I'd like to change that. That would be a dream come true.

12. Protar

Protar Active Member

Slightly off topic, but has anyone else noticed that Cacian has vanished. She's usually such an avid poster. Just an observation.

13. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

^ I've noticed that too. It's weird.

14. Jhunter

That is what happens when you have one sided threads over and over. No one wants to comment on them.

So I imagine she caught on.

15. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 New Member

25 years old, musician, but currently working in retail (customer service). My dream job is to be a rockstar, but seeing as the best band I was in is now defunkt, I'm trying to settle as a music or science highschool teacher. Though I think I'd work well at being some sort of scientist. I definitely have the ideals and personality of one.

16. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm 22, currently working as a curatorial intern at a big contemporary art institution, doing writing commissions on the side as well as writing regularly as part of my main job. It's pretty much the dream...too bad the internship ends in June.

17. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I was just about to say that. But anyways, im 14 and i would love to write Video games, Films and Novels. So technically being a writer as a full-time job. Along with being a Film Director :)

1 person likes this.
  18. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

I am 27. As for ideal jobs, I certainly haven't had any so far. I've sold furniture, did some retail, did some of this and some of that. All in order to pay the bills. That's where it all pretty much goes at the end of the month. It all funnels upward to the masters that we all serve, who live their lives at the top of this pyramid scheme that we all live under.

I would like to do many things. I don't want to be limited in my life in any way or to any extent. But paying the bills seems to take precedence over everything we do ultimately, so that is just what has to be done. At least in my case. Maybe others have had different experiences. After all, living in the grand ol' USA, which is supposed to be some kind of "Land of Opportunity", you supposedly end up where you deserve to be, eh? So maybe I deserve to end up on a hamster wheel running my legs to exhaustion, with little prospects for great financial success or for living out my dreams.

I have no intention of allowing that to happen of course. Refering to the hamster wheel, I mean. I do not consider myself to be some kind of puny little creature that can be exploited and pressured into doing things it does not want to do. I believe that a person's life has to be meaningful and fulfilling to them. Instead, I am struggling to keep my house that will take years to pay off, assuming that the rest of my debt doesn't catch up to me first. Stuff is tense for me right now. But what choice do I have given the present circumstances? Nothing more than to pay the damn bills, and run my legs to spin the wheel. So that's what I am doing at present.

Honestly, if there was some kind of serious revolutionary activity going on right now, I would be right there on the front lines. The entire social structure needs to change. We got trust fund babies sipping mojitos on their private yachts living the fantasy high life, while there are single mothers out there struggling to feed their hungry kids who don't have any health insurance. This is real injustice, a state of affairs that demands that good people rise up and have the courage to do something about it. In order to cure society of these evils action must be taken, even violent action, to show the people at the top that they can't get away with having so much while everyone else has to scramble for leftover table scraps. Something has to be done about the current immoral and depraved state of society in general. We need to take the next step toward a higher phase of civilization. Mankind has to progress to where there is no possibility of children going without food or medical care, and everybody, rich or poor, is treated with dignity and respect.

My ideal job would be to bring down this weak, old, decrepit system that we have now. That is what I would gladly spend my life doing. To be involved in hailing in a new era in the evolutionary progress of mankind. The next phase of advanced civilization, I believe, will be a place in which everyone can live to express their full potential everyday and have plenty of time to enjoy the finer points of life, such as having lots of quality time with family and friends. People should have their own schedules, and to do with the day as they please. People should really care about each other, instead of being so apathetic as they are. We should try to correct morally repugnant behavior, instead of just ignoring it like most of us do today. I will do what I can to make this happen. But I am just one guy. Just one piece in a giant puzzle. So I am not even sure at present times if I will be able to impact the world in this way. I guess only time will tell how things pan out in future. But believe me when I say, we are all living in a big danger zone today and things can turn out to be very, very scary in the near future.

Hmmm. Kind of went off on a mad tangent there. But I did speak the truth. So have a nice day. I hope you learned something.

19. Jhunter

We learned that you have entitlement issues and that you think "Land of Opportunity" means "Land of Give Me Stuff For Free."

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Hello Karl Marx. How are you doing these days?

21. Jhunter

/highfive

22. Party Poison

Party Poison New Member

You guys got me in the mood to listen to 3OH!3 - DON'T TRUST ME. lol I wanna be a game artist or author.

23. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

I'm 18, and my ideal job would be one where I can sow my creative oats; this is what drew me to writing in the first place, however we all know most full-time writers are poor, so I'd also really like to be a game designer.

Kinda like Peter Molyneux, and by that I mean I'd like to get paid to ramble to the press dressed in black turtle necks. The video games I'd design would be so much better.

24. Alex W

Alex W New Member

I'm 20, and i'm currently embarking on running my own commentary business throughout the Football League. If all goes well, it'll be a huge operation which will be associated with the education system and offered to students who undertake journalism courses at Uni. It has started well, though we're offline at the moment. Hopefully, by february, we'll be making money and have all the insurance policies and website layout sorted. Talks have already cropped up about the same thing going into the American Education system in regards to American Football, so i've enough to get my teeth into for a few years atleast!

My dream job? Haven't a clue. Will be going into football management at some point, and have already begun talking to one or two people in regards to work as a scout (if that comes off i'll be delighted, not often scouts are hired at my age!). I'd love to make my mark on the game, particularly when I get on a bit, the plan is to retire and teach an U18's team or something like that somewhere underprivelidged, try to give something back to the world. Saw a chap who was coaching through advanced stages of cancer in Haiti, very inspirational, i'd like to do the same if I knew I hadn't got that long left in me.

I've got alot of things that I want to do aside from that, here's hoping I manage a few of them. If my life goes to hell then i've always got the option of Mercenary work. Yeah, it's not well paid and i'd be dead in 5 minutes due to my Scooby Doo levels of bravery, but hey, the ladies love a man in uniform don't they? :D

25. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

re cacian being among the missing, it's clear to me that all who baited and abased the lady are the cause... and i'm disgusted by each and every one of you... you all know who you are... i can only wish the same will happen to you some day, so you'll know how it feels...

i, for one, hope she comes back and continues to post whatever her little heart desires... fyi, that's the essence of 'freedom of speech' not the use of words to hurt another's feelings, as you'd been doing to her from the day she first showed up here... 'nuff said!