1. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.

Horses for human consumption

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dresden260, Nov 30, 2011.

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

On the one hand, it is disturbing; on the other hand, it seems that decisions about what animals to eat or not eat in a given society are rather arbitrary.

3. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

On the one hand I agree with you. I don't believe that I, personally, could eat a horse. Of course I can also say that it depends on just how hungry I am. If I'm starving to death I'll eat anything. Just to be clear (so that if I run into you during the apocalypse you don't call me a liar, heh). It's also disturbing the way it was slipped in, and that it was slipped in despite all the opposition. However.... horse is eaten regularly in many countries, even in countries where they love horses and keep them as pets. Some people keep cows as pets and would never dream of eating dear, beloved Bluebell but just had a steak from the store for dinner. So... I'm not going to eat one (unless I'm in the apocalypse, like I said, of course they'll all already be dead, right? Moot point maybe, heh) but I'm not going to stand on a picket line either.

4. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

Don't really know much about horses but...
    Horses are no longer necessary as a means of travel. They are in some few places but not anywhere close to as much as they used to a long while back. Now they are kept more as pets.
    Horses as food is pointless, taking care of them takes far more effort and money than it does with pigs, cows, and other animals who aren't that fragile. Plus, they have less meat on them anyway, that right?

5. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

i kind of want to try it now. of course there are few animals i have not tried eatting yet so it might just be me.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'll give most any food a try. I had grasshopper tacos in Los Angeles over the summer. I won't be eating them again, but it was an interesting experience in Pre-Columbian Mexican cuisine.

7. Question

Question Active Member

I wouldn't mind eating a horse. I shot a dear a couple weeks ago and the deer steaks from it were so delicious and lean, without a trace of gamy flavor, so I figure horse meat might be just as good or better.

8. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

I think that when you have such an attachment to a "pet" you don't see them as an animal anymore, you see them with a personality.

Hell I wouldn't eat a salad anymore if I thought it had a personality. I stopped eating pork for three years after having a pot-bellied pig.

But in other countries, that animal-human bond isn't as prevalent as it is in our society.

Purpose over pleasure.

I've had horses before (owned not eaten!). If I was in a European country (I would probably stay away from weird meat in Middle East and Asia...and Russia) and it was in a high standard situation (5 star restaurant, formal social occasion) I would probably try a piece.

9. Devrokon

Devrokon New Member

Agreed.

10. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I think it is disgraceful that horses are put to the slaughter.
    There is a limit to what one can eat and can't.
    One has to draw the line on principal otherwise we humans won't know when to stop and one day we might find we have literally eaten everthing that moves.
    Just like in our everyday life, one does not indulge too much because that's is what one may call avarice/greed and that has consequences .
    The are limits in life.
    I don't agree with lots animals/insects (big or small) or mammals being consumed.
    This is an example of food/meat/fish I would not touch on principal:
    sharks, deer, I am not sure onn Tun fish just yet, kangourou, horse.

11. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

Personally speaking, it wouldn't be my first choice in food (or even on my mind until it was brought up that it was to be served), but I wouldn't completely put it past me to eat horse meat. I don't have any attachment to horses- they're majestic animals and I'd like to ride one some day, but I've never owned a horse and I've had lamb and cow before so... -shrugs- In some places it is culturally acceptable to eat horses.

However, this is where I get hypocritical: I might just up-heave if told I was being served dog. I've lived with dogs my whole life so I couldn't do it. Again, it's culturally acceptable to eat dog in some places, but I couldn't. I understand where you're coming from with horses and having one of your own because I think the same thing about dogs being eaten. I don't have that same attachment with horses though.

12. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

Double post~

13. arron89

arron89 Banned

Deer are way cuter and I have no problem eating them, so I guess horse would be fine. I don't know how good it would be though...

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

why do you eat it if it is cute?
    cute usually mean you want to keep it and not eat it so that it is not there anymore to be cute.
    I am not sure I understand what you actually mean?:)
    Horses however are way too clever and are for riding.
    To eat them is totally out of order the same apply to sharks and kangaroos.
    Humans should practice restraint when it comes to certain things like not indulgin in consuming wild beautiful animals.
    These animals are put on earth for a reason.

15. arron89

arron89 Banned

Right, to be eaten.

And I don't eat deer because they're cute, I eat them in spite of their cuteness. I also don't really understand why horses, sharks and kangaroos are in the same category...I really can't think of three more different animals...different but equally tasty...omnomnom

16. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I've never eaten horse and have no desire to really.

As to whether it's 'wrong', highly subjective as it's pretty normal in some places. It's cultural conditioning and we all have it.

Someone mentioned dogs... I'll be damned (or would have to be on the brink of starvation) before I would be able to entertain the thought.

17. Cacian

Cacian Banned

the problem people need to make their minds up wether they want to have animals as pets or eat them but you cannot have both.
    It is a bit like saying you either have a friend as a friend or go out with them, doing boths is very tricky.
    In the same way with horses you either want to ride them and keep them in stables and look after or eat them.
    To have both means you will eventually run out.
    Eating horses for me is out of order because of the nature of the animal and the way people relate to them.
    Sharks are wild animlas and serve a purpose in the seas to eat them is simply ridiculous because there are so many other thousands of other fish in the sea you can have.
    People in general like to think that sharks will survive and not become instinct because man decided to eat them.
    Kangaroos are part of the wilderness , poeple like me like to think I want to go to see them in the wild for fun.
    If we started to eat our way around wilderness then there is nothing left for a photgrapher to take pictures ,or go on safaris or go horseriding.

18. Boomfog

Boomfog New Member

No need to share my input since it's already been said: I wouldn't do it personally, but it's likely to be the norm in other cultures. I don't see why Obama would legalize it, but then again, I don't see why not. People have different tastes, quite literally.

On the other hand, it does revitalize the idiom, "I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse", right? Right? ;)

too soon?

19. Trish

No. I LOVE animals. LOVE. Look at my profile, see my dogs. One of my dogs would feed a family of 4 for a month probably, heh (He's 230 lbs), but he's my dog. I wouldn't eat a dog - unless I was starving to death. And then, like I said before, I'll eat anything and I'm not going to apologize. I eat deer regularly. VERY regularly. It's GOOD. Like aaron said, deer is yummy. Do you think they grow beef in a grocery store as hunks of meat? It used to be cows. I live in farm country. Have you ever looked, up close, into a cow's eyes? They have the sweetest, gentlest faces you've ever seen and the LONGEST, thickest eyelashes, like giant dolls. They're gorgeous.

And I still eat them.

20. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

21. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I see your point absolutely, except I don't think this is the best comparison. ;) Sounds rather perfect to me.

22. Boomfog

Boomfog New Member

Thanks for making Coca-Cola burn sharply through my nostrils.

23. Trish

Honestly, mamma, it's cool that you feel that way. It is. I have no problem with people who don't believe in eating in meat, and that it's cruel. However; I don't try to make them START eating meat, I don't start telling them how wonderful it tastes. Because that's disrespectful.
    I like it. I don't expect them to. I don't try to convert Christians to Atheism, and I don't want people telling me to not eat meat. Also, that's not what this is about. It's about the legalization of horse slaughter for human consumption. And also, it's against the rules to promote your own work that way. ( I appreciate that you're trying to make it disgusting and terrifying, but I kill and butcher my own deer so I probably know much more about it than you do.)

1 person likes this.
  24. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

Shark actually tastes really good and melts in your mouth. As for kangaroos, I've been told by a couple of my Aussie friends that they're just "giant rats" to them and become a nuisance (one of them lives way in the west).

And why isn't it possible to have a pet and still eat animals? I do it. I have chicken last night and my dog had some too. She probably enjoyed it more than I did.

25. Cacian

Cacian Banned

a cow is not a pet.
    A cow is part of herd that you keep in a farm.
    and not I would not want to get too close to a cow or stare at their eyes that close.
    I much prefer to keep my distance.
    I like animals and I also like my distance from them.
    You can do and eat whatever you think is fit I still think that some animals are better left alone to roam this earth.