1. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Looking to bounce ideas: How could they discover that this guy is a traitor?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Mallory, Oct 28, 2011.

Okay, so very brief rundown of my story: Teen girl who doesn't get along with her family is spending the summer with her great-aunt, who she does get along with. Great-aunt goes missing (great-uncle had been missing for several years), and teen girl finds a bunch of notes and references to another world. She figures it's just a complicated code that the aunt and uncle had used to cover up something else, but she follows the clues to get there wanting to find out what it's "Really" about. Turns out, the alt-world is real, and there is a disturbing takeover going on. There's a group of entities called the Watchers who have fooled most people into thinking they're there to help, but they have another goal. If you took the plots of "Alice in Wonderland," "Coraline," "V" (the alien miniseries), "Pan's Labyrinth" and a couple others, then mixed in elements about dimension travel and wormholes and angel/demon metaphors, you'd have something sort of similar to my story.

So here's where I could use a hand. A good chunk of the book -- maybe about 25% total, after the MC gets transported to the fantasy realm -- involves her going on a journey with some companions. One of them turns out to be a mole for the bad side. He joined up with them to learn their secrets, which he does, because he's the savvy trail guide type who earns their trust. After the group reaches their destination--the heart of the city, where other members of the underground anti-Watcher resistance group operates--they find out that this person is a traitor, and then my MC becomes the equal but opposite equivalent of his role, where she becomes a mole among the bad side in order to secretly help her own team.

The revelation that this dude is a traitor is going to be about halfway through the book, or maybe two-thirds (this is the first book in a trilogy). I don't want to do the thing where he gets hurt and they find notes in his pocket or something. My friend suggested that he sabatoge some major undergoing of the group's, but I"m stuck on specifics. (Specific group undergoings involve helping break persecuted rebels out of jail, including the MC's friend's parents, and also taking steps to locate her missing aunt and uncle and figure out the scary mystery of what exactly the Watchers are and what they want.)

Anyone got any thoughts?

By the way, my story's kind of complicated, so I apologize if the explanation didn't make sense. I'm happy to clarify anything as needed.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Never mind, I think I got it figured out. Sorry! :)

3. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

Sounds like a fun read. I suppose you aren't going to tell us how they figure it out but I'm curious.