1. Fanficlover

Fanficlover Member

How should I write as I organize?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Fanficlover, Dec 12, 2010.

I have so many stories to write, but I do want to get at least most of them finish. I enjoy writing, but I do need little help on organization. Does anyone have like helpful tip on organization for writing more than one story at a time?

2. JetMasta

JetMasta Member

folders help.
    But personally, I have a few of those 'thum tack' board things up on my walls.
    That pretty much keeps it all oragnized for me, 'cuse i can see everything in front of me, instead of among clutter. XD

3. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

I have (computer) folders for "concepts", "started", "mostly finished".

4. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

Also, if your work contains chapters, a document per chapter helps IMO. Just keeps everything simple and you know exactly which part of your story is where, because after some time, one can forget. . .

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you're a beginning writer, i'd strongly advise working on one piece until you finish it, before starting any others...

you can jot down the ideas and save them for later, but if you start a new piece every time you get an idea, you'll risk getting stuck in the bad habit of never completing any...

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

What mammamaia said. I work exclusively via PC, so I have separate file folders on my desktop for each project. I'll make notes and possibly belt out a chatacter sketch or two for a future project, and if I'm really stuck on something I'm writing, I might turn to another project for a while to clear my head. But I try to stay focused on one project when I'm in the writing stage, and I join mammamaia in urging you to stick with one at a time as you're just starting out.

If you don't, you risk losing your focus and scattering your energy and finishing nothing. I remember years ago reading a newspaper feature article on Alice McDermott (it was in Newsday, Long Island's only major daily, and they featured her because she was from Elmont, LI - how I happen to know that is a story for another time). At that point, she had completed three novels - "The Bigamist's Daughter", "That Night" and "At Weddings and Wakes", and she had gone quite some time without a new book coming out. The interviewer asked her what she was working on, and she replied that it was the same question her editor kept asking, and, much to her editor's annoyance, she was working on about four projects at the same time and not making satisfactory progress on any of them.

Now, you might be tempted to say that if a published author like Alice Mc Dermott can do that, why can't I? And the answer is that it took a few more years before she came out with her next novel ("Charming Billy"), but for an unpublished amateur, it might mean a dead -end. So, try to focus on one at a time.

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Once I finished my first project I developed a way of working that fits what I need. I do agree that at least getting one first draft out is important and then you can see what works for you. Mine is:

One project - is now complete
    one project - in rewrite
    one project - in completed first draft waiting rewrite
    one project - part way through first draft
    two projects - in the planning making scrapbook stages.

NaNo has mean I have two first draft stages which wasn't planned. I find it useful to have a project to work on at varying stages so I can take a break of a month to then look back - and not always be starting over at the beginning.

I split my week up - I have days for editing, days for rewriting, days for writing, days for planning, days for critiquing etc.