1. astrostu

astrostu New Member

How Side-Tracked Do You Get? (if Writing Is Not Your Primary Job)

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by astrostu, Feb 28, 2012.

I was a grad student in astronomy in 2005 (graduated last year), and I'd been dreaming about various ways I wanted magic to work in a world for over a decade, so in 2007 I finally started writing. My intent was something epic, a 2- or 3-book-length story that would span years and take years for me to write. I paused after part 1 book 1 back in 2009. Last year, over about 6 months, I wrote a novella prequel to further explore the main secondary character (not a primary, but a secondary who would be most important in the novel/series right behind the two primaries). Then I went to work re-writing what I'd already written based on the new backstory of that secondary character.

Now I'm considering branching off yet again, but into a completely different world, more sci-fi along the lines of Stargate (highly advanced race, now extinct, some people use their technology to fight shadow wars, explore, etc.).

The idea is not completely different from my magic-themed writings, though, since in that I'm trying to write it as though magic is realistic - it's a 5th force, takes energy, can't violate any rules of physics, magic is controlled via neurotransmitters and glands, etc. ... so it's somewhat mechanistic. In the sci-fi, it'd just be using technology to achieve somewhat similar abilities.

Anyway, the point here in my bit o' exposition is back to my subject-line question: When you write, if writing is not your primary job, how side-tracked have you gotten?

2. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

Oh I never get sid- OMG LOLCAT PICS!! SO CUTE1!

What was the question? Actually I do get sidetracked a lot, though in my own case it can sometimes be helpful. I had a big epic story I had in my head, but then I ended up starting a fanfic for fun. Through writing it I realized that I needed to start my story earlier time wise then I originally thought. Off and on I thought about my plot, wrote the fanfic (which strangly takes place in a completely different type of world then my story) and when I got stuck on my story plot I worked out my world's mechanics and culture. You could say I got distracted by my fanfic, but I feel I've grown as a writer by finishing a shorter story, not to mention it keeps my ideas fresh in my head.

Though keep in mind I am the person who reads 5 different books at the same time because I don't like sticking with a single story. I'm a bit of a multi-tasker.

3. hankesj

hankesj New Member

Here's the funny thing about me...when I'm at my day job, I can't do anything but think about my MS, characters and plots. I get sidetracked from my real job by thinking about my writing. When I get home however and I'm faced with hours of uninterrupted writing, Facebook, Twitter, my cat and dogs, call of duty.... you get the point. I can't seem to get ON track when I'm home but when I should be busy as hell at work, I seem to do all my important writing?! Strange.

4. Nakhti

Nakhti Banned

^^THIS

When I'm at home it's all about the bunnies, facebook, forums, TV, cooking dinner, facebook, bunnies, biscuits, bunnies...

When I'm at work it's all about plot threads and character development and I can't stop thinking about my goddamn novel and I am in serious danger of not doing any work, LOL

But then again, there's no bunny or TV at work :D

5. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

The novel I'm writing right now had a different plot, start point, character personalities and direction. That was about 6 years ago when I got the idea and wrote about 7 chapters... then full stop. Now I'm working on it again, looking at it with a more mature mind, I can see that it was total rubbish. Now it's different and I'm enjoying writing it.

Now I'm starting to get side-tracked but in a different way. One chapter is finished and again.... full stop. I'm rewriting it and I think I'll rewrite it more than 4 times before the story is fully formed in my head. I think getting side-tracked is a good thing as long as it helps you write a better story, otherwise I think it's just too much and should stop at some point before the whole project fails.

6. Jethelin

Jethelin Member

This for sure. Same when im in the shower before work. Ideas start flying through my head, but when I sit to write a few sentences before leaving I get distracted by Facebook and others. I'm also really bad with having TV running in the background as just noise, and I end up watching the movie or documentary or whatever instead of writing. Thennnn there are the four other book ideas that seem only to want to pop into my head when I want to work on my main project.

7. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I don't usually get sidetracked but I do recognize myself in the thinking about writing at work and thinking about facebook etc when I'm home and supposed to write. :) If I get an idea for another story while writing something I usually take notes and keep working on the main project, but I keep developing the ideas for the new one in the same time, though without writing it. I have never written novellas from any part of the story or about one of the characters, but I find it interesting. :)

8. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Okay, so basically I have to start my 10-paged research paper on the Ottoman Empire, as well as start working on an essay about Michael Collins. At the same time, however, I would like to write my stories.

Question: How do writers with a lot of work squeeze in creative writing in the middle of what they have to do?

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You have to set your priorities and manage your time.

10. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Like Cogito said, prioritize.

Unfortunately, life gives us other things to do. Since I'm not a published author, making money off of it, writing occasionally gets pushed to the middle or bottom of the list of things that need to get done. Do your papers and then write, or make up a schedule on what you'll be working with and stick to it, as long as the school work gets done.

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

^This.

You have to treat it simply as another thing you have to get done.

So I may know on a given day I have to go to work, take my daughter somewhere when I get home, get back and make dinner or help with some homework.
    I'll add "write for half an hour" (or whatever time period ) to the end of the list. It's simply another thing I need to get done that day.

Don't make it optional.

12. april30ara

april30ara New Member

Try scheduling 30 minutes a day or one hour a day. Just stick to the schedule.

13. Pchew

Pchew Member

Yeah, exactly what everyone else is saying :). You have to decide on a certain time to do it :)

14. ChloeSly

ChloeSly New Member

I, personally, carry around notebooks so that whenever I do have any kind of free time or something hits me I can quickly note it down. For me writing is a really good way to unwind at the end of the day :)

15. Whirlwind

Whirlwind New Member

You have to make time. Sometimes I get up at 4am to do it before the day starts at around 8am.

16. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

well, don't be too hard on yourself, maybe three writing assignments at the same time is just a little too much, and if you're also working that might be quite a lot I think. I agree with what the others have said too, just be realistic. I don't know what your schedule is like, but if you feel it's impossible to find time it might even be true. You have to prioritize, really, and decide which things are most important to you and how you prefer to use the time you have.

17. jc.

jc. Member

Homework first, THEN write away for fun. :) Like others have said, prioritize.

18. forgotmypen

forgotmypen New Member

It has to do with priorities and discipline. I set a sentence, word count, or time limit for myself (depending on my work load.) For instance, if I set a time limit of 1 hour, I have to find a way to squeeze in 1 hour of writing before I start my work... no matter how busy I am. However, I'm more likely to set word count or sentence limits. I've found that a three paragraph limit is the most effective method for me. If I write those three paragraphs with time to spare, I'll write a little extra. (Unless I absolutely can't.)

19. killbill

killbill Member

This is what I do too. And the funny thing is that ideas for my stories hit me when I have tight schedules as oppose to sitting on a desk and waiting for the ideas!

20. Kaymindless

Kaymindless New Member

Yep, silly brain. I carry my notebooks around with me, but those ideas are coming when it's not a good time to even pull out a pen much less a notebook.

21. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I find the time limit method works for me. Set a timer for 15-20 minutes, and type as fast as you can. It's kind of like a sprint. The time limit may actually increase your productivity, so you get just as much writing done as you would normally in twice the time.

Do 15 minutes a day, and you've done almost 2 hours a week. Two hours you might not have done otherwise...

22. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't deal in schedules or fixed routines... when i have something of my own to write, i just take a break from my clients' and mentees' work and do my own for a while...

'a while' can be an hour or two, or a day... it all depends on how much other work i have pending and when i've promised turnarounds for the clients [mentees know they never have to wait more than a day or two, in any event, and since they're being helped for free, don't mind an occasional delay]...