1. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

When to change a character's name?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Commandante Lemming, May 22, 2014.

I'm debating whether to change my main villian's names based on writing group feedback that her current name doesn't work.

The character's current name is Priscilla Davis - and she's had that name for years so I'm attached to it - but I get flack because I tend to refer to her by her last name as she is an authority figure to my protagonist. She routinely has discussions with another major character whose last name is Dragovich, and people get mixed with "Davis" talking to "Dragovich" as they both start with D.

Also I've been told that "Davis" is too boring of a last name compared to the more "interesting" surnames of my other characters (Constantinos, Rylander, Dragovich, Szerbiak, Jain).

Here are a few of the other names I'm considering - if I re-name her I'm going to give her a French surname and probably Cajun ancestry.

Priscilla St. Croix
    Priscilla St. Gelais
    Priscilla St. Fleur
    Chantal Faustin
    Tammany St. Jacques
    Marie-Jacques Faustin
    Ghislaine St. Fleur

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  2. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

I have a terrible time with names. Some people like to give meaningful names, some don't give a crap. If I were to choose, I'd pick Priscilla St. Fleur or Marie-Jacques Faustin.

Be careful if you can't view her in the same light after changing names, though. :p Happened to an important character of mine.

3. Commandante Lemming

Actually - if I do change her name, I banking on it changing my perception. I personally love Priscilla Davis' character, but some people that read her consistently tell that she's to evil to exist plausibly and that the story simply can't proceed if she remains (granted, those are the people with views sympathetic to the ones I'm trying to skewer - but I started a whole thread on that already). If I give her an elegant French name, I'm hoping smoothes out her rough edges in my mind while still allowing her to be deliciously psychotic. Priscilla Davis is an verbally abusive ice queen, but I have a feeling Chantal Faustin would be a little more calculated in inflicting pain on her subordinates (she's the head editor at a major cable news network - most of my blowback comes from people who have a rosy-eyed view of journalism.).

4. Flynn C.

Flynn C. New Member

You could put something between Priscilla and Davis. Priscilla ____ Davis. I think it would look nice. That way maybe you could even have some people call her "Davis", which is interesting for a female character and more so for a villain one. :p

5. FarmerBrown

FarmerBrown New Member

Priscilla leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I love it as a villain name. I would choose Priscilla St. Croix from the list provided. On the other hand, I like Priscilla Davis, too. Good luck to you! It would be hard for me to make such a change.

6. Commandante Lemming

She's staying Priscilla Davis for now. If it needs changed later than I'll revisit it, but in the phase I'm at right now, Davis still fits. Although I did add a minor character with a French name for the heck of it - her name is Emma DeFournier right now.

FarmerBrown likes this.