How to address hard to describe alpha male behaviors...?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hubardo, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Haha, good point. Yes.

I think the introduction of this into our next house meeting will make things much easier. I have felt a great deal of relief after looking through it.

2. Hubardo

Hubardo Contributor Contributor

Do you have links? I am a psych nerd and am surprised I haven't come across this. Seems very useful. Maybe it's personality psych?

3. Jaiden

Jaiden Member

Him living there for longer than the rest of you would definitely factor in, although only in terms of giving your long-standing housemate an internal feeling of ownership. If he has become that familiar with a house, he will likely believe the areas to be his more than yours, and therefore seek dominion over the land! I find that I can be a little bit like your housemate, and whilst some here may attribute it to being an 'arsehole', for me it stems from always having to battle for anything that I want. However, where I believe some replies here to be off-the-mark in terms of 'jerk behaviour', I am fully behind the idea of standing up to someone like this (it's why I'm incapable of being with weak-willed individuals because my general nature is to take control, and if no objections are made, I just proceed how I believe everyone will have the most fun - which is an attempt to be decent - but doesnt always result in being the way for everyone else to have the most fun).

So yeah, stand up to things, everything, that you care about. There's obviously no need to be petty, and the fact you've assembled the war council to discuss things about your housemate suggests that this has gone far enough that you shouldnt put up with it any longer. Be cool, calm, collected, and stick to your points. Don't turn things into a "i want/you want", state clear and concise reasons why things should be the way you want them to be, but leave room for compromise. I, personally, try to be as honest with people as I can be and I try to get them to do the same with me, because whilst some things that are said may hurt, if you co-habit with someone, you both have the exact same rights and you should make this abundantly clear.

Good luck with it!

4. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I used to have links, but the other day when I clicked on them, they all turned up dead. It's like there's a conspiracy afoot.

I'll keep looking and post anything I find.