1. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Salon Advice Column -- Columnist suggests proper English

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by chicagoliz, Apr 7, 2013.

I toyed with posting this elsewhere, but in the end decided it was most appropriate in the Lounge. Recently I've seen quite a bit of discussion here about proper grammar, and the appropriateness of giving SPaG advice over substantive advice, and the recent thread about grammar in the thread postings and titles. The response in this column reminded me of this issue, and I think in many ways, drives home exactly how important grammar and language usage issues can be. The person writing for advice is clearly not a writer, and is not asking about anything remotely related to writing (she basically asks the columnist if he thinks her boyfriend slept with another woman). But the advice given certainly does.

I thought some of you here might find it interesting.

Here's the link:
    http://www.salon.com/2013/03/19/did_they_have_sex_or_not/

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It's a very pertinent commentary, especially for this forum. I just posted an answer to a thread question that said something similar, "If you can't write better than your post suggests, perhaps asking about story structure is premature."

I also liked the linked story: Contronyms. Think about what "trim the tree" means without context. Not to sidetrack from your thread topic of course. :redface:

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

That story was interesting, too, Ginger. I missed that one.