Tags:
  1. BenjaminDJ

BenjaminDJ New Member

My New Book

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by BenjaminDJ, Aug 30, 2012.

Thank you for spending your time reading this if you are, I really do appreciate it.
    My father is a novel writer and he has always inspired me ever since I was a child. At that age I had two dogs, Mookey and Spencer, and also at that age I loved writing little stories about them and usually never finishing them. I'm calling the series Mookey and Spencer, and this book Burning Forest. Mookey is, in my book, a four year old Black Labrador dog, and the main character of the book (if I end up writing the next one it'll be about Spencer, a one-year old (in the books) German Shepherd). I'm in the middle of writing the first chapter at the moment.

So Mookey and Spencer are the destined two. What's happening at the moment is that Mookey's just had a dream about a dog called Jet (which later you'll find out is his father) who tells him this prophecy: When all seems lost, a light shall shine. Two and only two stand a chance of finding that light. Mookey's woken up and Spencer had the smae dream except with a dog called Max (who is also his father).

It would be great if you could come up with some useful ideas for the book and make it happen!

Thank you,
    BenjaminDJ

2. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I'm confused. Like, really confused... are you trying to get people to write this book for you?

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Sounds like you got a lot of ideas all ready - are you looking to brainstorm a way to
    pull them all together or trying to soundboard your idea?

4. BenjaminDJ

BenjaminDJ New Member

No, I'm not. I'm writing it myself, as I said above, and I'm just in need of help because I don't know what could happen next to lead Mookey into a dangerous quest.
    I'm trying to make a good story and book like all authors do, just about Mookey and Spencer. Yes, I do have a lot of ideas but I feel that I can put them together. All that happens is Mookey and Spencer are told of a prophecy and soon the Park thinks that they are the ones that it mentions, which in fact they are, but they need to make a choice of saving the Park before their family which is also threatened my Mookey's old friend Sparks, who has renamed himself to Lord Ignitor.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So, yes, you are expecting people to come up with significant parts of your story for you.

6. J. Blake

J. Blake Member

Open your word processor. Start typing. That's how the best ideas are made. But don't come here; why would you even want to? Even if you made the book and it was good, you'd still have to know that, technically, it's not all YOUR work. It's the product of someone else's imagination. How depressing would that be?

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Well, if YOU don't know what could happen next, how could WE possibly know? They're YOUR characters!

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can only ditto all above in re the fact that you are wanting to have us come up with a story for you to write, instead of doing it yourself... since you father is a novelist, i'm sure he'd say the same... have you asked him for ideas?

if you want to write fiction, one of the most basic requisites aside from some talent and considerable writing skills is being able to think up stories to tell... if you can't do that on your own, for even the first book, then how can you possibly expect to turn out a second, or a whole series?

9. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

Seems like what needs to happen first is some kind of inciting incident. Like these two people walk home and check their mail, and they get the same mysterious letter with no return address that says something threatening (I can't think of exactly what off the top of my head)... as soon as they both open their letters their houses explode (some kind of bomb goes off), and they both realize something is going on and want to find out what: start adventure.

This is kind of a bad idea... but the point is, something that starts them off on an adventure needs to happen. Either an event happens that forces them to do something or maybe they talk to someone and that leads to something. But that's how story structure works. Something has to happen that starts the main storyline.