1. Kamaria

Kamaria New Member

How to Cite an Image from a Museum

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Kamaria, Feb 10, 2013.

I wasn't entirely sure where to put this. My apologies if it is in the wrong place.

I am working on a non-fiction work and I can't find this information anywhere. My book is about 19th century fashion and I would like to use some museum pieces (photographs from the museums' websites) in my work. How do I cite this? Is this something I need to ask the museum about specifically?

2. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

you want to put an actual picture in the text, or you want to write "there is a picture on the website of that museum" or you just want to describe what's on the picture?

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you must first obtain written permission to use their copyrighted photos [yes, they will all be protected by copyright]... then you must cite the source beneath each picture, or in a list of illustrations in the appendix...

4. hippocampus

hippocampus Active Member

Maia is correct. You need permission from the museum's rights and reproductions office (I happen to work at a museum) and there will likely be a small fee involved. They will tell you exactly how to cite the photos.